Charcoal issue...

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Charcoal issue...

Postby slemps » 15 Jul 2015, 08:14

Big K restaurant grade has the least small pieces in my experience. Although sometimes you do get a bad bag.

When I use my UDS I do the same as others and use bigger pieces at the bottom then smaller (but not too small).

I've had 23 hours from a full basket.

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dannysmith43 » 15 Jul 2015, 15:21

I'm still really new to the game but I had a similar problem with the charcoal falling through the grate! I considered buying a second grate so I could criss-cross them and lose less coal. The replacement is £15 and everywhere was out of stock! I eventually bought a throw away bbq from Poundland, I took out the expanded metal grill bit, threw away the rest of the BBQ and put it on top of the charcoal grate! I'm probably going to get another as I think you'd need 3 to cover the entire grate (weber 57cm), not bad for a quid - works great too.
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Nutty » 15 Jul 2015, 18:14

I've always thought the charcoal grate gaps were too big! :)

Might try you idea.
Nutty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Scantily » 16 Jul 2015, 11:49

Why not just buy some steel mesh from B&Q etc, put your grate on top and cut out a circle to the same size? Then you can put that on top of your normal grate when cooking.

That's what i've done for both my kettle and WSM and works like a charm, just don't buy mesh with holes too big.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Evotim » 16 Jul 2015, 12:25

23 hours from 1 basket... Sounds just what I'm looking for. Mind you I've a pro q not a uds so I doubt if get that long but even so 23 hours is more than enough.
Was thinking about putting extra mesh in the basket, was wondering where to get... didn't realise you could get from b&q...result.
I've just been informed by my girlfriend that 3 large boxes have arrived for me.. I reckon they'll be from Treewood :)
Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Dduffs71 » 24 Jul 2015, 07:39

I'd be interested to hear of anybody's experience with The Oxford Charcoal? I had 4 boxes delivered this week after seeing DJ BBQ raving about it at Grillstock this year. I've always used Big K Restaurant Quality, but it seems to be out of stock or extremely expensive at the moment. Haven't used the Oxford charcoal yet, but opened one box and was a little disappointed how small the lumps were.
Dduffs71
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Clayfish » 24 Jul 2015, 12:22

I use Oxford Charcoal and I have to say that it's awesome.

However, due to the smaller size and the heat it gives out, I only use it for grilling where it excels. I use 'Restaurant Grade' charcoal in the WSM for low 'n' Slow.
Clayfish
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 24 Jul 2015, 12:32

If you want to give some of the BIG-K Best Grade stuff a go, they have it for delivery at Ocado:

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/B ... /266898011
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Dduffs71 » 24 Jul 2015, 13:47

Thanks Clayfish, I'll take your advice and save the Oxford stuff for quick grilling :D
Dduffs71
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jash Monolith » 24 Jul 2015, 16:03

I'm a massive fan of Oxford or any other good quality British hardwood charcoal, Bulworthy project etc (usually the types that come in brown bags), but these are best for grilling and baking.

I use our qBurn charcoal for smoking, although it's my company's product I happily have 14 of the 20 boxes I bought in April at more £s than the reduced price will be soon. We've had some issues with boxes so it's still going to be a week or so until the new batch price comes in, but some info here, that is the price that's set to reduce http://www.marlin-cs.com/product/qburn- ... -10kg-box/
Jash Monolith
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)