Charcoal issue...

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Charcoal issue...

Postby Evotim » 13 Jul 2015, 12:20

Hi,

I've been using Heat beads briquettes for my low and slow cooks for a while now but ive been finding there has been a slightly tainted smell (almost chemical/ammonia) coming from the last few bags ive bought recently. I've ordered 2 different batches from different suppliers, even different size bags, the brown 7kg bags and the white 4kg ones and still the same smell. When i first started using Heat beads there was a good woody smell from them but not anymore. I've tried them in my Pro Q smoker and on my Weber one touch, still the same.... Even after they're properly lit and totally white and been burning for an hour or so the smell doesn't dissipate. I've even tried scrubbing clean my Pro Q and Weber to see if the inside had got tainted somehow but no change so i definately know it's the briquettes.
Last week i decided to try the Weber briquettes although i'm not overly keen on them and there was a very slight tainted smell from them also, not as harsh but still there.
And i do believe my food tastes different because of it:(

So, my questions are.... Has anybody else had this problem? I saw someone who posted on FB recently had a similar issue but as far as i know have not got to the bottom of it yet. I've read that it could be natural gasses which would eventually burn off but if using the minion method then as new coals are always lighting so the gasses will be released therefore surely will be always there?

And.... I've never used lump for low and slow so i think i might give it a go so which to go for? Does anyone else use lump for low and slow? Looking at Big k ACH15 or i've heard a smaller grade will burn more evenly giving less temp spikes so something else?
What's Oxford Charcoal like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Charcoal issue...

Postby YetiDave » 13 Jul 2015, 12:59

I use lump exclusively for low and slow. I can't see the point in shelling out on expensive briquettes (or the roulette you have to go through buying them from shops) when a £3 bag of lump from Sainsburys will do the job just as well :)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Evotim » 13 Jul 2015, 13:11

Ok cool, thx.

How long do you find lump to last?
also, I've found some of the cheaper lump i've tried in the past is so small it just falls right through the grate.
Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 13 Jul 2015, 13:18

How long's a piece of string? It depends on the temp you cook at, ambient temps, wind, rain.. Just over-fill the basket and close down the vents when you're done to save whatever isn't burnt :) And yeah you do get the scrappy bits in the bags, but I just make a base out of larger chunks then pour the little bits over the top to fill any gaps
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Evotim » 13 Jul 2015, 13:38

Ah yes should've been a bit more specific, lol.

If i can still get an long overnight cook out of one basket then i'll be happy:)

Thanks
Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 13 Jul 2015, 18:37

I've had 8 plus hours from lump.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Nutty » 13 Jul 2015, 19:40

I bought some pure apple wood lumpwood from Treewood especially for long cooks as it's extremely dense charcoal. Works amazingly well and the taste was sublime.

I guess over time you've just become more critical in the flavour profile of your fuel.

Since going chemical free I can now smell bbq lighter fluid a street away when someone lights their bbq with it.

I've heard good stuff about Oxford Charcoal. Waitrose are selling it now.
Nutty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 14 Jul 2015, 14:47

Hi

Did a first use of Australian Heat beads on my UDS at the weekend and did get an ammonia type smell when I was dropping the basket into the bottom of the drum, it was quite noxious. I also used the minion method but honestly couldn't detect any smell on the ribs I was cooking.

To be perfectly honest I think any lump wood even the cheap is better than the "best" brickets. I also do as Yeti Dave big bits on the bottom and fill in with the smaller bits. I will use up the AHB's that I have got and defo be using Lump permanently from now on.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Evotim » 14 Jul 2015, 15:06

So not just me then... Very noxious indeed, almost stings the inside of my nose... not at all pleasant!

Nutty... I've just been in touch with Treewood and they're gonna send me a couple of different types to try. I'd like to experiment to see how they compare to the usual lump we get off the shelf over here.

Thank you all:)
Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Nutty » 14 Jul 2015, 17:10

Sainsburys had some British hardwood forest eco charcoal but it was like a bag of dust compared with the Treewood charcoal.

Let us know what you think.
Nutty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)