WSM Brisket - water or clay in the pan??

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

WSM Brisket - water or clay in the pan??

Postby nlbaines » 22 Jun 2015, 16:20

I've smoked other meats both with water and clay saucers in the pan and have found the saucer to work better at maintaining and reaching temperature and noticed little to no difference in moisture of meat.

However, after watching a BBQ with Franklin YouTube vid, I noticed he put a small bowl of water in his off set smoker, saying it helps keep the brisket moist, and so now I am wondering whether to use water in the pan for brisket - which will be British and likely to be a bit skimpy on the fat compared to the more expensive Aussie and USDA packers.

Any experienced guys out there got any advice or can share experience?

Brisket in a WSM 47cm - clay saucer or water in the pan??

I've been searching for an earlier thread on this, but can't seem to find one. So hope I haven't doubled up.

Thanks in advance

Nick
nlbaines
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: WSM Brisket - water or clay in the pan??

Postby Scantily » 25 Jun 2015, 08:20

As far as I'm aware the water pan does not contribute to keeping meat moist, and just acts as a heat sink.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JamsCowbell » 26 Jun 2015, 11:39

I switched to sand, I got a bag of sand pit sand from B&Q and put that in the bowl on my WSM instead. Works fine, temperatures are much more stable and I get through less fuel as it's a great heat sink. No refills mid cook required either!

I could do with a saucer on top for catching drips as the tinfoil usually lets some through to the sand, so I'll see about getting one of those at some point.
JamsCowbell
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 26 Jun 2015, 12:50

Why not use the cheap foil trays 3 for a quid at the pound shop better than foil sheet for catching drips:D
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)