Which brisket

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Which brisket

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Jun 2015, 18:33

Hi All,

I've seen the where to get brisket from question but I'm now at the stage where I've narrowed it down but not sure which to go for...

T&G packer cut, or Tom Hixson aussie grain fed?

Thoughts / experience please!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Which brisket

Postby Duncanc » 17 Jun 2015, 21:26

I collected a T&G packer cut from them today. Cooking on Saturday, not sure my experience with brisket (1 small 4lber) will set me up to give you meaningful feedback but can post pics of before and after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Duncanc
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Jun 2015, 20:48

Thanks. Be interesting to know how it goes. From what I've read I think either will be good, just wondering if one has the edge. I like the look of the T&G, especially with the point. THE TH lòoks like just flat.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 18 Jun 2015, 21:17

Gentlemen,
May I take a running bomb response to your swimming pool of brisket related musings......Surely one of the primary joys of British BBQ is to produce magnificence from British produce? We have wonderful beef so I am rather confused at the desire to go for some American steroidally enhanced monster or some kind of antipodean battery farmed thing that has travelled halfway around the globe.

Where is the slow roasted beef of old England? After all we have made our mark through history with the act of roasting large chunks of beef, in this modern day surely we should be firm and proud, as it were. "no thanks ex colonnial cousins we will be doing it properly" I dont approach this from an xenophobic stance I would love an aberdeen angus brisket from bonny (have you seen Andy Murray?) Scotland or a dexter brisket so beloeved of the london trendy set, a brisket from an Jersey, nearly French I know but claiming it as ours.....Come on chaps the world is your brisket I say Yes to British.

Just because its american and just because its big it isnt always better I offer Sylvester Stallone and Chloe Cardaccian as exhibits 1 and 2...
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gingerchris » 19 Jun 2015, 10:12

The last Aussie brisket I got from TH had a MASSIVE point. Don't worry too much about the picture. Maybe even worth asking them for one with a big point
gingerchris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TheHowster » 19 Jun 2015, 21:11

Tiny wrote:Gentlemen,
May I take a running bomb response to your swimming pool of brisket related musings......Surely one of the primary joys of British BBQ is to produce magnificence from British produce? We have wonderful beef so I am rather confused at the desire to go for some American steroidally enhanced monster or some kind of antipodean battery farmed thing that has travelled halfway around the globe.

Where is the slow roasted beef of old England? After all we have made our mark through history with the act of roasting large chunks of beef, in this modern day surely we should be firm and proud, as it were. "no thanks ex colonnial cousins we will be doing it properly" I dont approach this from an xenophobic stance I would love an aberdeen angus brisket from bonny (have you seen Andy Murray?) Scotland or a dexter brisket so beloeved of the london trendy set, a brisket from an Jersey, nearly French I know but claiming it as ours.....Come on chaps the world is your brisket I say Yes to British.

Just because its american and just because its big it isnt always better I offer Sylvester Stallone and Chloe Cardaccian as exhibits 1 and 2...
Cheers
Tiny

You sir, are a legend! I also couldn't agree more.
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 20 Jun 2015, 02:05

Tiny, I think you are mistaken on the T&G supplied briskets, at least I hope so. The issue is not buying American beef but American cuts of beef. Hence Turner & George's Packer Cut Brisket is UK reared beef, but butchered in the American style, at least to the best of my knowledge.

The Hixson brisket *is* from Australia, but we have a long history of importing meat from Australia and New Zealand.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 20 Jun 2015, 14:37

So the conundrum that I asked many months ago is where do you comp boy winners buy your briskets as every where I go the brisket is just the flat rolled with nil fat. My friend who runs a mobile BBQ business is now asking for "Score" or beef shoulder from his supplier as he struggles to get anything near a decent brisket and cant risk the rubbish we are offered. I also have a mate who is a meat wholesaler in the North east and he admits he cant get decent brisket for BBQ and has tried Ireland for it too. so where do you go when most stuff is vac packed? just Tom Hixon and T & G?
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Tiny » 20 Jun 2015, 19:56

Gents,
As always thanks for the kind words, my unique writing style embiggens me when I know it makes you smile.

Kisska, I just don't understand, every cow comes with a brisket as standard, well 2 actually one on each side. When I wanted a flat brisket I nattered to my very local backstreet butcher and he advised me to give him a nod in advance. I did and he brought out half an cow split down the middle and cut the brisket off in a one'r and handed it over.

I think if T and G are advertising USDA then it is imported USA fare.

The british is best, the british is best I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.........

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 21 Jun 2015, 09:37

Hi Tinny,

I totally agree but................

Your word are joyous and a always a pleasure to read
That's why hidden in every tome is valuable information indeed

Unfortunately NE butchers are a greedy bunch but don't stand alone
load of butchers up and down the land have stopped getting meat supplied on the bone

They cry "the housewife wants cheap and lean and wont pay for better!"
So cryo bagged meat is brought out and presented as they stand in pearls and cashmere sweater

The butchers they compete with are Asda, Morrison's, Aldi and Lidl too
So cutting meat from a bone is not cost effective for them to do

Alas I would love to whisper to my butcher "gimme a British brisket untrimmed with the tip" as I laughed
But i'm always greeted with "Brian i'm not buying in half a cow just for you, you must be daft"

There lies the story of the meat situation up in the north east
so online supply seem the only way to get a decent lump of the great beef beast.

Hope that explains :D

Thanks
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)