Help with big brisket and pork smoke

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Help with big brisket and pork smoke

Postby Duncanc » 17 Jun 2015, 18:20

Folks,

I've had a WSM 47cm for 9 months and have had 5 or 6 decent smokes on it, typically ribs or pulled pork. None have been perfect but always tasty and edible. I did Brisket for the first time 3 weeks ago and did a 1.9 kg piece which was a bit small and low on fat. Came out ok but was a bit dry and my run was much too peppery.

Now on Saturday my wife has relatives over from Australia and our house has become the central venue for a big family gathering of 20-30 people. I've decided to throw the boat out and try to provide something for them off the smoker and kettle and would love some advice (and reassurance!)

I popped into Turner and George earlier today and collected a 6kg packet cut brisket and a 4kg pork butt. I also have a side of salmon in the freezer.

Plan is to put the smoker on at 6-7pm on Friday using heatbeads minion style. I also have a mav 733. Guests are arriving early afternoon.

Here are my questions:

1) Will I ruin the meat if I cook brisket and pork at the same time via one dripping on the other? I hope not and assuming so is it best to put the brisket on top and pork on lower shelf?

2) I'm hoping to put the pork / beef in at 7-8pm with the hope that they should take 12-15 hrs to finish. Is that realistic for a wsm 47 with 10kg of meat?

3) I have bought an injector for the beef, how long in advance of putting it into the smoker should I inject?

4) If the pork / beef finish on time, the hope is to then do ribs on the bottom for 3-5 hrs and the salmon on top. Am I biting off more than I can chew here, figuratively and literally :)

Any tips, encouragement or advice gladly received. Also thanks to the posters here and while this is my first post, I have lurked here for ages and used much of the advice already to start my adventures into smoking.

Duncan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Duncanc
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)