Beef brisket - suggested sides??

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Beef brisket - suggested sides??

Postby NSC14 » 06 Jun 2015, 21:56

Got a great piece of tom hixson aussie beef brisket smoking as we speak on my KJ.

What's wveryone Serve with their brisket? I'm thinking maybe corn, Mac n cheese, potatoes or slaw?
NSC14
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Beef brisket - suggested sides??

Postby Kiska95 » 07 Jun 2015, 07:55

Ever tried "Onion Loaf"?
Its on the menu of a few rib joints in Florida (Tony Romas). its basically fine shreded onion dipped in buttermilk and tossed in seaoned flour then deepfried or baked in a loaf tin. Google will give you a proper copy cat receipy
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Tiny » 07 Jun 2015, 10:51

Hi,
Also like remoulade (excuse spelling, finely shredded celeriac in an mustardy mayo) or some pink pickled onions, very thinly sliced red onions in an pickling mix of your choice.

But, and I have said it before, what in the name of all that is Godly are you supposed to do with "Mac and cheese"??? It is a completely different, stand alone dish. It is like adding a fishcake to a roast dinner. Sorry off topic, all your other sides sound fab :)

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 07 Jun 2015, 13:45

Well put as always Tiny :) I would serve homemade( or good quality shop bought) slaw with a slice of dill pickle. Have to agree with the Mac & Cheese comments it has no place as a side it is a menu item in its own right. Love an onion loaf and far easier than an onion flower. All the above are my opinion ;)
keith157

Postby NSC14 » 07 Jun 2015, 14:49

I do see your point on Mac n cheese thing is it just tastes so good and wherever I go out to dinner and they have it I always order it!!' Brisket came out great, had it in rolls with BBQ sauce and coleslaw for lunch. Now do I reheat it or have it cold???
NSC14
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 07 Jun 2015, 22:01

Did the onion flower in the oven for her indoors :)
again buttermilk dredge and then a good rub sprinkled over the top bung it in a hot Q and yer heart will love ya :D great with alioi dip. have a diet coke n that evens things out calorie wise! Lol!
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 09 Jun 2015, 11:14

NSC14 wrote:I do see your point on Mac n cheese thing is it just tastes so good and wherever I go out to dinner and they have it I always order it!!' Brisket came out great, had it in rolls with BBQ sauce and coleslaw for lunch. Now do I reheat it or have it cold???

Make a chilli with it. I start out with a basic chilli mix, fresh minced beef, onions, garlic etc and then chop up the leftover brisket and add it to it. Simmer for a couple of hours and you end up with a gorgeous smoky, spicy chilli with a depth of flavour that you won't get with fresh beef alone. I think I prefer this to the actual brisket itself!
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bsnalex » 12 Jun 2015, 12:34

For a brisket, keep it simple. Some coleslaw would probably suffice, along with some green salad. As far a starch on the side, I would go with some homemade cornbread. There's a great recipe on the Betty Crocker website that I've used countless times. Just remember, don't use cornflour. Use cornmeal.
bsnalex
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 12 Jun 2015, 17:10

Made some rib-eyes on the grill this evening (delicious!). Made some fresh cornbread too.

The best book i've ever seen on bread making is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Bread- ... 0753703092

Doesn't appear to be in print anymore - but available used for a very reasonable price

This is a no-nonsense book - i borrowed it from the library many years ago and had to find a copy for myself.

Here is the recipe for cornbread:

140G plain white flour
140g yellow cornmeal (medium grind yellow pollenta is what I use)
1/4 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1c (20ml) milk. I use buttermilk (you can find it in 1 litre cartons in the ethnic/polish food section of sainsburys)
2 large eggs beaten
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons oil for the pan.

Get a 9 inch cast iron skillet, put the oil in and put it in the oven @ 200C to warm up. When that is hot, place all the mixed ingredients above into the hot pan. The consistency should be like cake batter.

Cook for about 20-25 mins - until a knife inserted comes out clean. Should have a nice golden crust on top.

Really good cornbread.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby NSC14 » 12 Jun 2015, 21:52

Pompey Dinlo wrote:
NSC14 wrote:I do see your point on Mac n cheese thing is it just tastes so good and wherever I go out to dinner and they have it I always order it!!' Brisket came out great, had it in rolls with BBQ sauce and coleslaw for lunch. Now do I reheat it or have it cold???

Make a chilli with it. I start out with a basic chilli mix, fresh minced beef, onions, garlic etc and then chop up the leftover brisket and add it to it. Simmer for a couple of hours and you end up with a gorgeous smoky, spicy chilli with a depth of flavour that you won't get with fresh beef alone. I think I prefer this to the actual brisket itself!

Mate that sounds amazing! All gone now but next weekend I got the next bit to do!!
NSC14
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)