UDS Question - Badly fitting lid

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: UDS Question - Badly fitting lid

Postby Kiska95 » 15 May 2015, 21:11

Get the barrel ring clamp its soooo good for sealing
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby slemps » 18 May 2015, 10:22

Well as an update, I haven't got hold of any silicon or stove rope yet but I did bend out the Weber lid lip with pliers.

The fit isn't perfect but its a massive improvement.

I had my first proper smoke on it at the weekend. 3kg of boneless shoulder for pulled pork (I couldn't get bone in).

After lighting, it took me about 1.5 hours to get the temp where I wanted it (225F). I put the pork in, kept watching it for an hour, then went to bed (nervously!).

I was amazed to see five hours later that the temp hadn't moved. The pork took 10 hours in total and I also cooked some ribs.

All turned out very well indeed. I was very happy with it.

I let the UDS keep going to see how long it would stay at temp and it started to dip below 23 hours later....! :shock:

I knew these things were efficient but that is just outstanding! For reference, I used Big K restaurant lump, fist sized chunks and nearly filled my basket (probably about 5 kg).
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 18 May 2015, 10:53

I remember the first time I fired up mine - I stood out staring at that thermometer for far too long thinking "That can't be right, this isn't moving AT ALL" :lol: The stability and fuel efficiency is phenomenal
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 18 May 2015, 11:57

Great!!!! I am please all went well.

As they say "If it aint broke don't fix it" just keep going along the way you are as it seems to be working :)
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby slemps » 18 May 2015, 12:27

YetiDave wrote:I stood out staring at that thermometer for far too long thinking "That can't be right, this isn't moving AT ALL" :lol: The stability and fuel efficiency is phenomenal

I was in awe. I keep telling people about it but they don't seem to understand how exciting it is :lol:

Kiska95 wrote:Great!!!! I am please all went well.

Thanks Kiska, appreciate the advice. Now I just have to make myself a better thermometer solution. I have a Maverick ET72 with two broken probes (which seem to cost more than half the cost of the original unit to replace) or a box of arduino bits and pieces which I pretend to understand, but don't really :)
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 18 May 2015, 12:49

There's a proper glue that should be used with stove rope. Its only as good as the bond and sticky back is not going to cut it. Environgraf isn't supposed to go hard and it is food safe
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby slemps » 19 May 2015, 08:34

Ok, good to know.

I like the sound of the ring clamps. Anyone got a good source?

I've got two more of these beasts to make!

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PyroBoris » 19 May 2015, 09:10

I bought two barrels for UDS a while ago and might still have the lid clamps lying around somewhere, I'll have a look and if I do find em you can have the one I won't need. I'm in Birmingham if you are anywhere near there?
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slemps » 19 May 2015, 15:42

Unfortunately not! I live in Jersey (Channel Islands) but thanks very much for the offer PB, appreciated.

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MyLeakyBucket » 30 May 2015, 15:43

I got my lid clamp with my barrel. If there are any barrel suppliers/re-conditioners near you, could try that (though you may well have tried that).

I too was having a problem with an ill-fitting UDS lid. Used a pair of pliers to loosen around the rim and seems to have done the trick, as can fix on top with some force. I've found the temp control easier today than previously, though may also be bacause I'm using lump rather than my usual fuel - briquettes.
MyLeakyBucket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)