First UDS build

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: First UDS build

Postby essexsmoker » 14 May 2015, 12:55

Thanks. I had thought about trying lump so will give it a go. Got a stoker anyway so shouldn't be too painful. Got a new blower to fit too.

Last time I bought cheapo lump it was smashed to buggery but I am thinking this might be a good thing heat and evenness wise for low and slow?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 14 May 2015, 15:15

Yeah, I just put larger pieces on the bottom then pour the scrappy little bits over the top :D
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 14 May 2015, 18:08

I might even break the bigger bits up! Just makes more sense to have the smaller bits for low and slow so long as you have good air control.

Do you still use minion or such like?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 14 May 2015, 19:09

Yeah I do. I usually over-fill the basket (UDS being so fuel efficient and airtight that it'll easily extinguish leftover fuel - always better to have too much in there) and dump half to 2/3 of a lit chimney straight on top (no need to make a hole) if I'm aiming for 250ish and a full chimney if I want to get to 300-350. I've often wondered why people bother with briquettes when lump does such a good job. And from shops it's usually around £1/Kg :D

In terms of wood usage for that kinda fire I just chuck a few lumps around the edge of the basket and one near to the centre so it catches straight away. I often find that after 6 hours or so I might get a bit of a temp drop, so it's just a case of switching up the vents to even out the burn.
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby batvan » 14 May 2015, 20:41

I got the heat beads from dawsons in clotheroe last bank holiday,they had 15% off n worked out at just under a fiver a bag. I used half a bag on mi last cook so not too bad money wise. I'll defo give the lump a try, I just assumed it was more for grilling than low n slow. Only prob I have had is when I have got mi basket out a day or two later and the briquettes cheapo stuff and weber have appeared untouched n reusable but any slight pressure on them n they crush to dust! Anybody else had this?
batvan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 14 May 2015, 21:50

Can't say I've experienced that, but I suspect it'll be due to heat interacting with whatever binders are in the briquettes. Under £5 a bag is bloody good, I'd definitely give them a whirl at that price :)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MyLeakyBucket » 15 May 2015, 06:31

Noticed The Range has Big K lump for less than £1/kg so will definitely be trying that. Heat beads are probably about 50p/kg extra, so has put me off so far, though will give them a go given the number of recommendations I've seen.
MyLeakyBucket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 15 May 2015, 06:58

batvan wrote:...crush to dust! Anybody else had this?

Yes, I've had that. You have to be very careful with them. You can reuse but be gentle. I tend to stick them on top of fresh coals so they don't get crushed. Lots of ash though which can choke the fire a bit.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 15 May 2015, 07:02

MyLeakyBucket wrote:Noticed The Range has Big K lump for less than £1/kg so will definitely be trying that. Heat beads are probably about 50p/kg extra, so has put me off so far, though will give them a go given the number of recommendations I've seen.

Sounds good! Makro do restaurant grade for £10 for 12kg, 83p /kg if my maths is right? I got a bag at the end of last season for even less. Will get a few bags this year.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby batvan » 18 May 2015, 06:06

Charcoal turning to dust update, it's defo the cheap charcoal.i used heat beads this weekend apart from a small section to one side of mi basket.heat beads rock hard the few cheap ones left turned to dust. So avoid cheap briquettes! I'm Still gonna give the lump a try when I see a good offer on a quality brand.
batvan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)