First UDS build

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: First UDS build

Postby essexsmoker » 18 May 2015, 09:55

I have had weber long lasting turn to dust too. Not used heat beads.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 18 May 2015, 12:02

Hi

Just about to try HB but I have been a Lump man for a long time. Been using Makro restaurant quality blue bag stuff but it does spit a lot and you do get a lot of bits but they are good for filling the gaps.

Going to try Big K lump next the good gear!!!!
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby MyLeakyBucket » 18 May 2015, 20:40

Any idea what the deifference is between regualr and restaurant grade Big K lump. Have easy access to regular and available for a great price, but wondering if worth searching for an upgrade?
MyLeakyBucket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 19 May 2015, 09:45

Kiska95 wrote:Hi

Just about to try HB but I have been a Lump man for a long time. Been using Makro restaurant quality blue bag stuff but it does spit a lot and you do get a lot of bits but they are good for filling the gaps.

Going to try Big K lump next the good gear!!!!

Yeah it spits like buggery don't it.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby slemps » 20 May 2015, 08:28

MyLeakyBucket wrote:Any idea what the deifference is between regualr and restaurant grade Big K lump. Have easy access to regular and available for a great price, but wondering if worth searching for an upgrade?

Obviously it depends on how much it's been moved around and for me, living in Jersey, we a further step away from source. However I used to avoid the Big K regular stuff like the plague. I used to get so much dust and tiny pieces and it never seemed to burn that hot.

We used to get another company's restaurant grade stuff but that disappeared so I reluctantly tried Big K's and was very happy with it. Nice big lumps and a good hot burn.

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MyLeakyBucket » 30 May 2015, 15:37

Been using regular Big K lump today. Some small bits at the top but otherwise nice sizeable chunks. And a bargain at £4 for 5kg. Been holding its temp nicely today in my UDS.
MyLeakyBucket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)