Silver Birch

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Silver Birch

Postby essexsmoker » 09 May 2015, 10:15

Hi all, has anyone ever used silver birch to smoke with? I read somewhere that you can use it?

Thanks.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Silver Birch

Postby Kiska95 » 18 May 2015, 12:18

Hi

Mixed reviews but by all accounts the Scandinavian's use it for smoking their fish and it has a subtle maple flavour but some have said its bitter and gives off plumes of white bad smoke. However me things these chaps have not debarked and seasoned as its the bark on Birch that causes the problem when burning. However Turan Turan of the Coldsmoking.co.uk firm has it on his list but.............. hot or cold smoking is there a difference??????
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Kiska95 » 18 May 2015, 12:26

The London Charcoal company has it in Charcoal single species form but not as lump wood
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby YetiDave » 18 May 2015, 13:33

My folks felled a silver birch in their garden a couple of years ago and I still have a ton of it in my wood pile. I seasoned the trunk sections for about 9 months and they provide a lovely mild smoke. No need to strip the bark :)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 18 May 2015, 19:42

Kiska95 wrote:Hi

Mixed reviews but by all accounts the Scandinavian's use it for smoking their fish and it has a subtle maple flavour but some have said its bitter and gives off plumes of white bad smoke. However me things these chaps have not debarked and seasoned as its the bark on Birch that causes the problem when burning. However Turan Turan of the Coldsmoking.co.uk firm has it on his list but.............. hot or cold smoking is there a difference??????

That's where I got it from. Never seen it listed by anyone else. :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 18 May 2015, 19:44

YetiDave wrote:My folks felled a silver birch in their garden a couple of years ago and I still have a ton of it in my wood pile. I seasoned the trunk sections for about 9 months and they provide a lovely mild smoke. No need to strip the bark :)

Thanks. Will give it a bash.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby slemps » 19 May 2015, 09:10

Interesting, I'd never considered it to be honest.

Best way to find out is to get a saw and make a little bit of dust (I mean a teaspoon or so). Gently light it with flame or maybe a blow torch and smell. If it smells good, and you could imagine your food tasting like that, the flavour should be good.

The key is just getting a small amount to burn. It's the best way to evaluate smoke flavour. Try that with fruit woods and the difference between them is amazing.

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 19 May 2015, 14:25

great idea slemps!!!
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby paulfire » 06 Jun 2015, 14:51

I came across a Silver Birch that the local authority had felled and cut into manageable sections, ever on the lookout for a freebie I carried off some of it and after chopping into suitable pieces left it to dry out. I have used the wood for ribs, chicken thighs and wings so far, nice light smoke flavour. No problem using pieces with bark, but if you like a strong smoke it's probably not suitable, but as home grown freebies go, a success.
paulfire
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 06 Jun 2015, 18:43

Great to hear it. Always nice to have an easy to identify wood.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)