GRRRR Brisket

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: GRRRR Brisket

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Jun 2015, 19:02

Turner and George do an amazing looking brisket. Keep meaning to get myself one oneday.

http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/the-cu ... isket.html
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bravehart » 05 Jun 2015, 12:17

[quote="BASCOM"]Hi all

BBQ TEMP 225F-250F
INTERNAL TEMP OF 200-205F
IF FOILING (TEXAS CRUTCH) DO SO AT 160F-170F
STALL HAPPENS BETWEEN 150F-170F
TO SHORTEN STALL YOU CAN RAISE TEMPS OF COOKER UP TO 275F

May i ask what is Texas crutch and what is Stall
bravehart
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jez2775 » 05 Jun 2015, 13:14

The Texas crutch is the practise of wrapping a brisket in foil part way through a smoke, can make bark go a little soggy though, and the stall is the maddening point at which the internal temperature doesn't seem to want to rise any further, and can go on for an awfully long time. The best way to deal with it is to recline in a compfy chair and keep a cooler full of beer close to hand.
jez2775
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dancing james » 03 Jul 2015, 10:42

so got a mild problem, butcher has supplied me with rolled brisket, not a packers cut.

should i unravel it and stack all the bits up to make a sort of rectangle? or keep it rolled up?
dancing james
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 03 Jul 2015, 11:10

I had a similar problem unrolled it full of bits so I salvaged what I could and made corned beef out of it!!!! :cry:
Got a T & G Packer cut coming next week so I will see what its like :D
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Chris__M » 04 Jul 2015, 09:50

May sound like sacrilege, but if you don't want to risk it all on your first attempt; spend the 40-50 quid on a real packer brisket, then cut it into 3 good sized (2kg) pieces. Cook one, and refrigerate or freeze the other two bits for future tries.

It may sound like a waste, having bought that big slab of meat, but it does mean you are cooking the full thickness of brisket, with a good fat cap, so it is more representative of cooking a whole brisket than unrolling rolled briskets (which may be made up of bits and pieces inside, anyway). Plus, you are more likely to get a good quality piece of beef, with each cook only costing you about 15 quid for the meat.

To get a decent experience, I don't think you want to go smaller than 3 pieces. In particular, I suggest you save the point end for last, once you think you know what you are doing.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dancing james » 04 Jul 2015, 12:45

next time i shall send pictures of packer cut to the abbatoir, along with diagrams of USA cuts of beef. they are an independent operator down in Cornwall, butchering their own livestock and from other local smallholdings.

we used them for meat for ourselves and offal for our dogs that are on a raw food diet, so it works out well for us to pay one courier fee and get a box of meat for ourselves along with green trip, tracheas, hearts and lungs for the dogs.

am relatively comfortable cooking large lumps of meat, got about 40-50 friends coming over today, so have 3 pork butts, 2 briskets, 8 short beef ribs, 6 racks of pork ribs and 40 odd bits of chicken in various stages of preparation.

briskets and one pork butt are now standing, 2 more butts and 6 beef ribs currently cooking, people due to arrive in an hour or so
dancing james
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 04 Jul 2015, 13:30

Hi

Have a look at my new thread "New butcher on the block" that should sort you out :)
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)