Smoking ribs - what to go for?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Smoking ribs - what to go for?

Postby Romfordalan » 07 Jun 2015, 15:03

I am a new member trying to source good ribs. Interested by what you said about Tesco Essexsmoker - I think I read on another thread that you are from Chelmsford, I live in Chelmsford, so if there's a meat counter who are "trained" then I'd like to give them a go. Is it the Tesco by Miami roundabout that you use? Thanks in advance.
Romfordalan
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Jun 2015, 17:21

Hiya, I have used the miami one and extra on the A13 at Pitsea. I think they will all be the same.
There's a butcher up Broomfield road about half mile from hospital. On corner near garage.
I think there is a good one in witham high street. Never been myself. i work till 12 on a Saturday so that cocks most options up. :cry:
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Jun 2015, 17:24

Try the tesco ones. I've been pleased. You can always just ask to look at them.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Romfordalan » 08 Jun 2015, 17:39

essexsmoker wrote:Hiya, I have used the miami one and extra on the A13 at Pitsea. I think they will all be the same.
There's a butcher up Broomfield road about half mile from hospital. On corner near garage.
I think there is a good one in witham high street. Never been myself. i work till 12 on a Saturday so that cocks most options up. :cry:

Thanks very much.
Romfordalan
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Romfordalan » 08 Jun 2015, 19:29

tommo666 wrote:I got a rack of meaty ribs from the miami tesco, you have to ask the 'butcher' and he will get a sealed pack from the fridge. If they have any. The butcher up broomfield road does sell racks of spares just tell him not to cut them or they'll slice them individually. They also do excellent beef short rib again tell them you want flintstone ribs not cut to jacobs ladder. Brisket and pork shoulder are no problems but best to order on a monday and collect later. That way they will get it in for you.

If if are near Laindon, there's a wholesaler SR Roberts, in Hornsby Square that has a public meat counter. I've not tried them but another option.

Thanks. I've been trying Costco baby backs and also Direct Meats for both baby backs and spares, but neither are great.

Direct meats do usda short ribs, they deliver if you are spending £25. Their number is 01787 223364
Romfordalan
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Romfordalan » 28 Jun 2015, 18:15

Thanks for the heads up on the Tesco spares. Got 2 racks, 2.4 kg each, trimmed them to St Louis and had 0.5kg of diced pork from each rack.

Anyway, cooked them 3-2-1, Memphis meat dust rub, hickory wood chips and finished with a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and they were fantastic, best ribs I've ever made. Thanks very much for the help fellas.
Romfordalan
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)