Smoking ribs - what to go for?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Smoking ribs - what to go for?

Postby CHokKA » 30 Apr 2015, 10:24

Hi everyone

I'm going to be smoking my first ever ribs on Sunday but I was wondering which ribs I should go for. I am not really familiar with the differences, but I know there are spare ribs and baby back ribs. Which is best for my first attempt? I'll be using the 3-2-1 method with a rub and then baste.

If I am getting the above ribs from the butcher, is there anything specific I need to ask them here in the UK? Are baby back ribs the same thing here as they are in the US? Thanks all!
CHokKA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Smoking ribs - what to go for?

Postby Scantily » 30 Apr 2015, 11:47

I'd go for some spare ribs, just because they're bigger and much easier to find, most butchers and supermarkets should have them in stock. Babyback ribs will likely be harder to find and you may need to order them in.

I wouldn't use 3-2-1 if i were you, that's mainly for American spare ribs which are MUCH meatier than anything we can get over here, so you could end up overcooking yours. 2-1-1 has worked quite well for me in the past.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CHokKA » 30 Apr 2015, 13:41

Thanks for the advice Scantily :) My butcher has a bunch of baby back ribs in at the moment so I'm gonna get some of those to try this weekend. I'll use your suggested 2-1-1 method. I've got Dr BBQ's Slow Fire and Jeff Phillips' Smoking Meat so I'll have a look for rub and baste recipes tonight!
CHokKA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 30 Apr 2015, 20:04

You might even want less for loin ribs. they còok pretty quick. You could get a rib in pork belly and cut your own spares. I've done that and made some really meaty ribs. Cut the tips off and square the small end and you have saint louis cut.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby wigliams » 01 May 2015, 00:19

Hi CHokKA, if you go to tescos butcher counter, you will see they do meaty spareribs, ask them for a whole one unsliced into individual ribs and they'll sell u one. I've used the 3-2-1 method with these, and they're great if you like them really fall off the bone tender. Good luck, you can't go wrong with 3-2-1!
wigliams
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 01 May 2015, 06:33

Aazit fella,
I would counsel against 321 unless you have monsterously meaty ribs. If you get baby backs from the butcher then ask him to peel the membrane off of the back. If it gets left on it wont kill you but desireable to remove.

211 should do you just fine, would also counsel against rubbing too soon as if you have too much salt in the rub it will start to cure the meat.

So v best of luck hoping they are ribulicious.

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 01 May 2015, 06:49

wigliams wrote:Hi CHokKA, if you go to tescos butcher counter, you will see they do meaty spareribs, ask them for a whole one unsliced into individual ribs and they'll sell u one. I've used the 3-2-1 method with these, and they're great if you like them really fall off the bone tender. Good luck, you can't go wrong with 3-2-1!

Oooo. I didn't know that. Will have to ask.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby CHokKA » 01 May 2015, 09:33

Thanks for the posts folks. I might see whether my butcher has spare ribs as well. Then I'll cook the spares on the bottom rack using the 3-2-1 method and the baby backs on the top rack for maybe 1-1-1 and see how that goes :)
CHokKA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 May 2015, 17:19

Got some of the Tesco whole rack of spares. Looks good so far. £5/kg so not too sad. A 2.34kg slab. I pass it every night so easy to get to too. So thanks Wigliams!

Will cut St Louis style and was wondering how long to do the rib tips? I'm guessing not long at all. 1.1.1?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 01 May 2015, 17:55

Just get yourself a box of frozen ribs. Either from booker - or find a friendly cash and carry like Wing Yip or other chinese supplier. You won't go wrong.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)