Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit...

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit...

Postby UKEgger » 09 Oct 2012, 12:19

wow some of the produce on that site looks fantastic...have you ordere from them before ?
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 09 Oct 2012, 18:58

No but they supply Mike Robinson of the Pot KIln restaurant, our favorite eatery so we've eaten their produce. Everything meat-wise is apparantly local.
keith157

Postby keith157 » 18 Oct 2012, 10:54

Well, according to the Great British Food Revival BBC2 Rabbits can be had for as little as £1 each yes one whole British Pound. Also toins of rabbit is send to landfill because people just aren't eating it.

Methinks it may have something to do with the fact that most of us townies have to pay £7 upwards from the butcher
keith157

Postby Jonty » 18 Oct 2012, 11:24

Keith, I almost choked on my beer when she said that about the bunnies for a quid. I do think £7 is excessive as most rabbits are paunched on site so there's very little processing for a butcher to do. But rabbits for a quid, I've never seen.
Jonty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 18 Oct 2012, 12:15

To be honest we have only seen them at that price once in fact when we were at Ludlow a couple of years ago around Christmas they were practically giving them away as the "boys had been out ". However Ludlow is one heck of a journey for even a feezer full of bunnies, not squeemish (generally) so no problem with skinning etc, we just weren't prepped for meat transport having come for the medieval festival. :D
Do fancy getting some of that Rasberry vinegar though.............another excuse to eat Yorky Pud
keith157

Postby gazz_46 » 20 Oct 2012, 08:10

Keith

Farrowby Farm in Hinxworth sell 'em for around fiver if memory serves, they are shot and prepped on the farm. Never bought one myself as I shoot (though not recently) and prep my own locally. Skinning no prob but gutting them is an experience, probably the single worst smell in the world, and if you pierce the guts the smell will stick with you for weeks! Not to be reccomended.
Should get out again and try some smoked but permission lapsed, getting farmer permission considering the damage bunnies do is increasingly difficult :-(
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 20 Oct 2012, 12:33

gazz_46 wrote:Keith

Farrowby Farm in Hinxworth sell 'em for around fiver if memory serves, they are shot and prepped on the farm. Never bought one myself as I shoot (though not recently) and prep my own locally. Skinning no prob but gutting them is an experience, probably the single worst smell in the world, and if you pierce the guts the smell will stick with you for weeks! Not to be reccomended.
Should get out again and try some smoked but permission lapsed, getting farmer permission considering the damage bunnies do is increasingly difficult :-(

I learned early on as a butcher to hang them upside down so all the yucky bits are in the chest cavity, slit them the turn them headside up and voila a pile of messy smelly stuff in the sink, or more precisely the bowl in the sink :D . We had a hook over the work sink and did them as regular trade some funny stories for when we ever get the "Brotherhood" united ;)
keith157

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)