First pork shoulder

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

First pork shoulder

Postby Ady » 29 May 2011, 07:02

Got nice an early this morning and fired the smoker up, I'm going to have a bash at my first pulled pork. I've had it dusted with rub sat in the fridge since yesterday morning, even raw it smells great!

Went on about 7:30 but I don't really know how long to cook it for, is there a 'time per kilo' scale I can use when smoking?

*edit* just did a scan around the net, I think about 8 hours for 2.3 kilo's sounds about right?
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: First pork shoulder

Postby JEC » 29 May 2011, 07:05

Not too sure on time, every one is a bit different, it's all about the internal temperature, 190F and if the bone is still in you're looking for it to pull cleanly from the meat
JEC

Postby JEC » 29 May 2011, 07:06

Have fun, hope its drier where you are, good old British bank holiday weather!!
JEC

Postby JEC » 29 May 2011, 07:28

Looking through my log a 4kg piece typically takes between 10 and 22 hrs depending on stall, weather and if you have anything else on the smoker, a normal time on my unbranded leaks like a sieve offset would be 16hrs. You've made me want to go get a piece to try on my new WSM, did a chicken last night and was going to do ribs next but maybe pulled pork now instead!!
JEC

Postby Ady » 29 May 2011, 07:46

Its looking crappy out there, grey skies, windy, no doubt it will rain at some point. I could end up finishing this in the oven but I'm hoping not.

From what I've read, regardless of the time it takes as long as it hit 190-200F (88 - 93c) then I'm good to go.

I've seen a Landmann Magnetic Digital Thermometer at a garden centre near me for half price (£7.50) so I'm off to get one of those as soon as it opens at 10:30 (for you Swindon guys it the garden centre just off the A419 next to Kennedys, wyevale I think is the name, kinda at the end of ermin street)
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Ady » 29 May 2011, 11:00

I'm up to 130F internal temp so far!
Also getting a little carried away as I've just thrown 4 sausages on and am about to make a load of ABT's :twisted:
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Ady » 29 May 2011, 15:36

Just ate the sausages (burnt) and the ABT''s (had to blow my nose, nice and hot!)
My temp for the pork is up to 172 F now, fingers crossed it should be done in about an hour and a half.

I've seen a few people talk about wrapping it in foil for the last hour, what does this achieve?
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 29 May 2011, 17:56

I've never done this myself but know others who do it to stop it burning in the final stage, I would be concerned about it softening the bark you've just spent all day perfecting!
JEC

Postby Ady » 29 May 2011, 18:14

Shame I've had a few drinks myself so cant drive. I'm just about to rip into it, I'll take some pics!
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Ady » 29 May 2011, 19:18

lmao! wish I could but I think the wife might do me over if I tried to leave the house with this lot...

For my first attempt I'm thrilled! (and full up) The taste was out of this world, I was worried at one point I'd but too much hickory on and it might be bitter but wasn't at all.
The bark was nice and crispy, a deep smoke ring, the meat pretty much fell apart when I showed it a fork.

With a splash of 'modified' supermarket bbq sauce, that sandwich went down a treat!
Woot!
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)