Newbie Questions

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Newbie Questions

Postby TripleM » 22 Feb 2018, 11:04

Hi all,

I loved smoked food. So in December I brought an Oklahoma Joe Highland from Asda after debating whether to get a Weber Smokey Mountain or the Oklahoma Joe. For my initial cook (Late January), I tried to make St Louis Pork Ribs and Short Beef Ribs (Ambitious I know) . But I struggled to get the temperature and once I did I ran out of fuel.

So for the second cook I brought a charcoal basket from eBay and tried the minion Method. However, all the fuel lit very quickly and burnt out within 1 - 1 1/2 Hour. The fuel I used was Big K Restaurant Grade Lumpwood.

From this, I have determined that the variability in size of lump wood is causing me issues as the smaller pieces are cooking a lot quicker and not giving me the low and slow I want.

I have just brought some Aussie Heat Beads from BBQ Land and just wondering how much fuel should I be adding for a cook? Any advice is welcome
TripleM
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice