Possible to use a cheap drum BBQ as smoker?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Possible to use a cheap drum BBQ as smoker?

Postby ObliqueGeek » 22 Jan 2018, 15:24

Hi, new around here and apologies if it's an old subject. I have search a bit but couldn't find anything specific.

I've got a cheap drum style BBQ that up until now has only every been used for grilling. I've stumbled across the smoking side of things and wondered if it would be possible to use it for this as well, maybe with a few modifications.

It's not really something that I'm likely to do all that often, due to time and other commitments, so don't really want to have to buy and store another bbq.

The BBQ in questions is here.

Yes it's pretty cheap and shoddy, but it does the job as far as grilling goes.

Would it be possible to use as a smoker? Seal it up and bit and charcoal in one end, food in the other? Or would there be more to it?
ObliqueGeek
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Possible to use a cheap drum BBQ as smoker?

Postby Jediboy » 30 Jan 2018, 17:16

I'm certainly no expert on this, but my experience may help you.

I use something similar to smoke on and have had some great results. Sure it's not perfect but for me it was a no-cost option as I already had the bbq to use. I use it all year round to smoke on, and like I said the results have been very pleasing. I even did Christmas dinner on it and it was very well received.
This said, I have nothing to compare it too as I've never used anything else to smoke on.
I would say give it a go as you've got nothing to lose.
Good luck.

Long term I'd like to buy a proper smoker, but in the meantime I'm enjoying the results on my knackered old drum.
Jediboy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Possible to use a cheap drum BBQ as smoker?

Postby vicar » 17 Feb 2018, 17:51

Yes you can, is the short answer.

Use good slow burning lump wood charcoal or briquettes and you are good to go. Remember that with smoking air still needs to exit. With trial and error you will know your drum better. Just make sure you add your favourite chunk of wood. You can't go wrong with apple or oak for red meat.

I hope this helps.
vicar
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice