Offset smoking advice

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Offset smoking advice

Postby owenmarc9 » 20 Jun 2017, 16:19

Hello there

Im a relative beginner to smoking, but have become obsessed pretty quickly!

I have just bought an offset smoker (Landmann tennessee) and have had a couple of attempts at the old favourites, brisket and pulled pork

My issue seems to be the length of time to get the meat up to temperature - my early attempts were 8 hr smokes @ 110 C which got me nowhere near where i wanted

i assume my smoking times just need to be a lot longer - if thats the case, overnight smokes will have to do - does anyone do this with an offset smoker, and are they able to hold temperature long enough to get some decent sleeps? I have a thermopro TP-08 ordered to help me monitor temps, but im concerned my fire will need constant monitoring (i use restuarant grade charcoal briquettes which hold the heat v well)

Any help would be appreciated!
owenmarc9
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Offset smoking advice

Postby Tiny » 22 Jun 2017, 21:04

Right old chum,
First welcome, 2nd I suggest asking the same question on the facebook forum as there will be a broader range of opinions, 3rd I did own a landmann Tennessee so am giving honest feedback, 4th my feedback is not what you want to hear, I an sorry but I need to be honest......

I would rather thrash my gentleman area with a bouquet of barbed wire rather than own another one. The steel was thinner than Theresa Mays integrity and it rusted like a bastard. I had more chance of controlling temperatures by shaking ju ju beads over it and examining the entrails of a slaughtered chicken to identify my cooking strategy. The fire choked out after a few hours as the fire box had been designed by Kermit or miss Piggy. Cheap offsets are as wise as smearing your head in honey and clearing wasps nests by headbutting them.

Set fire to the bastard, claim it was stolen and claim on the insurance, do antthing to get rid of the evil useless bastard thing and spend any money you may scrape together on a kettle, heat and smoke rises, you don't lay on your bathrhroom floor and hope the stool you push out lands in the dunny....offsets are shit don't do it.....

sorry friend,
tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 23 Jun 2017, 09:57

Very succinctly put, Tiny.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin