Kettle + Smoker or Ceramic

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Kettle + Smoker or Ceramic

Postby Geordie888 » 05 May 2017, 09:12

Summer is almost upon us, allegedly, and I'm torn between

Weber 57cm Master-Touch + WSM 47cm = £240 + £360 = £600 ish

May end up with an Uuni 3 too...£225 with cover

vs

BGE Large or KJ Classic II = £1200

The ceramic takes up less room, is probably more convenient, more cool, more stable. No KJ Classic II in stock until end of May by the looks of things.

The Kettle + WSM + Uuni should be more versatile? But take up space (although they can be stored in the garage more easily).

Any thoughts? Any comments or advice?
Geordie888
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Kettle + Smoker or Ceramic

Postby Tiny » 05 May 2017, 16:33

Geordie,
Interesting question, most go on an evolutionary journey starting at kettle and progressing towards the expensive options.

The kettle gives you options to smoke medium sized joints so the WSM would be for larger cuts or parties.

The ceramic will be fabulous of course but is pricey, can you put your hand on your heart and guarantee you wont go kettle, wsm....pause.....ceramic?

So if you can afford it, buy well buy once and get the ceramic.

Cheers
tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Geordie888 » 05 May 2017, 17:04

Thanks for the input Tiny.

I think your second last paragraph is my main issue. I'm highly likely to want the ceramic at some point. The funds aren't the real issue. But whether it's worthwhile. Whether the ceramic will do everything the kettle and smoker will do (and better or worse).

I'll have a thunk over the weekend and make a decision on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Geordie888
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 05 May 2017, 22:54

Do you ever have parties where you have something smoking away while you throw on some hot and fast to add to the mix? If not go ceramic
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby cryo » 06 May 2017, 11:49

Hi, I have done the slow route gas,charcoal,bullet and then ceramic and I would advise ceramic every time if you can afford it as it will do all the others can do and more. It will give you more consistent results with little attention and less smoke and mess with a vastly reduced fuel usage. I use a visions grill Komodo which produces excellent results with little effort. The only downside is you will be requested to produce good food on a regular basis as everybody will want to come to your BBBQ's. With a ceramic Komodo you can cook anything from Bread,Pizza,smoked fish/meat and BBQ anything with controllable temps from 180f to 700f. I let my friend who thinks he is a BBQ expert look a mine in operation last year and he went out and bought a big green egg within the week and uses it regularly even in the winter. I've just dropped him some charcoal off yesterday and he is making pizza for his family today. A more versatile any weather outdoor cooker you will not find.

Ken
cryo
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 07 May 2017, 12:46

Even in that scenario, the big smoked joints are resting in cool boxes and you top the ceramic up, the only reason not to buy a ceramic is you cant afford one.....or you prefer something yet more splendid like a GMG Daniel Boon....#justsayin
Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Geordie888 » 07 May 2017, 17:53

GMG is an option. Pros and cons?

Geordie888
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 07 May 2017, 20:21

**I declare my position as biased**

So, I have a GmG DB and I absolutely love it, the food it cracks out is top notch every time but it doesn't have the theatre of charcoal and wood.

But....I am completely blind so whilst I used to love the lottery of white hot charcoal and a pair of Kevlar gloves it is so much more practical.

Others may scorn its "unreality" but midweek I have 2 pork chops smoke roasting in hot wood smoke before you have moistened your newspaper with veg oil (this is not a euphemism)

So I can do it all via wifi and it is all bloody lovely, and those that interact with my meaty efforts (again no euphemism) fall in love.

TheBGE makes you the daddy of charcoal, in my opinion the GMG makes you the daddy of repeatedable all sorts of fantastic Q at the drop of a hat.....

Pellets is best.
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Geordie888 » 08 May 2017, 05:10

Space is a premium. The Davy Crockett is an option. DB is a little big and not sure I'd ever utilise the full grilling space... And imagine it'll use pellets more quickly.

I'd still probably end up with a Weber Kettle too. And maybe an Uuni 3 for pizza.

Also, will read more on running costs (not fussed about electrickery) with the pellets. As they seem quite expensive per bag. This the guy who had a new Big Joe 2017 in the shopping cart... Hmmm.

Decisions, decisions!

Geordie888
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 08 May 2017, 16:48

Well,
The DB running costs are the same as a large Gasser and massively less than running charcoal or wood. I still have my kettle but haven't used it in 2 years. The UMIs come well recommended but you can cook pizza on a GMG, I never have as consider it a major pfaff and previous experiences using pizza stones has lead to burned bottoms and floppy tops and no-one wants that.

I don't think the DB is enormous, I previously had a 4 burner outback with side shelves and I reckon the DB is almost the same size.

Several folk have the Davey Crockett and find them top notch for feeding up to 4 so if this is where you are at then it sounds a good option....but if you want to cook a 16lb whole packer brisket.....the DB is for you...

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice