Good quality charcoal

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Good quality charcoal

Postby Stuarty84 » 30 Mar 2017, 19:48

Hi fellas,

It's been a while from I've been on here. I'm starting to get the summer time BBQ head on!

I'm wondering where everyone gets their charcoal from? I'm from N.I. and after spending quite a while trying to locate decent quality charcoal, I simply can't find it! All I come across is that stinking old "Bar-be-quick" crap. I hate using that stuff.

I want some higher quality briquettes. Is that possible? I just want 10 or 20 kgs.
Stuarty84
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Good quality charcoal

Postby RustyG » 03 Apr 2017, 12:53

Hey there.

I am wondering exactly the same thing. I have tried all the 'off the shelf' brands you buy in retailers and can only recommend one that works well for me.

I am a Low'n'Slow fan so long burn and constant heat delivery are key. The one brand I keep returning too is Weber's engineered briquettes which came out last year. I believe they are releasing a new one this year but I have yet to try these. They were extremely consistent and I managed a whole 13 hours smoke without the need to refuel (apart from the chefs beer that was). I used the minion method and have to admit I had to top up the water pan a few times but overall that was it. They will cost you a little more than other brands but you save in the long run due to the slow constant burn.

I did splash out for last New Years when I wanted to smoke a butt and short ribs, and purchased some 'Green Olive Lumpwood Long Burn' that came in a 10kg bag. Worst I've ever used for smoking! It burned fast and hot so would have been ideal for grilling however meant I needed to refuel 3 times during the 10 hours the butt was on. I was constantly managing the temp via the vents and could never get a consistent heat so I wouldn't advise using these.

Hope this helps, for now it is Weber all the way!!

Any other recommendations welcome - as well as whether Briquettes or Lumpwood is best as I am still a relative amateur.

All the best :D
RustyG
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby craig1912 » 05 Apr 2017, 20:27

Aussie heatbeads or Big K Restaurant quality (currently 3 for 2 from Ocado)
craig1912
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Bishboshjosh » 07 Apr 2017, 06:37

Hi guys I like the restaurant grade lump wood charcoal that comes in the 10/12kg blue bags. I get mine from the local wholesalers at around £12/14 a bag I think it is a pretty good all rounder imo it comes in big lumps that burn pretty slow or break them up for some faster grilling fuel.
Bishboshjosh
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice