Vent Control on a WSM

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Vent Control on a WSM

Postby Bscull » 26 Mar 2017, 20:16

Hi All

I found a new; old style 18.5in WSM and have only three smokes under my belt, so a complete newbie.

All the forum/YouTube sites I have looked at, say to keep the top vent fully open and control the air flow from the bottom ones. When doing a long smoke (15+ hours) with Heat Beads, water pan full (warm water) and the minion method. I have to keep the bottom vents completely closed and control the top one, mostly half to almost close during the whole smoke. If I open up the top vent and control air flow from the bottom ones the temp skyrockets to 270 – 300+ F and stays there, even if the bottom ones are completely closed.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong here. Hope you can help.

Thanks!!!
Bscull
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Vent Control on a WSM

Postby NoviceGriller » 03 Apr 2017, 21:32

Hi,
I'm new to kettle bbqing & WSM smoking, but I have used the heat beads and have found they just burn too hot. I've also used the weber briquettes and found them a nicer fuel to work with, & control. The Americans swear by Kingsford but we don't have that choice over here unless you want to pay silly money on postage$$$$$$$$
The other thing to check, if you haven't checked already, make sure you haven't got any leaks. I've just bought aWSM and after a lot of reading, the problem people have a gripe about is the doors don't seal very well and you might have to make a couple of modifications.
Hope this helps.
NoviceGriller
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 08 Apr 2017, 21:12

Love the heat beads on mine but you need to use fire rope around seals and door etc to make the unit more air tight.

I use a clay saucer as a heat sink

I keep the bottom vents closed down about 2/3 - maybe less on a really cold day - and mainly use the top vent to regulate temp. Start with it about 1/2 open.

I use minion method for coal. Don't light too many to start with. I light about 1/3 of a chimney and pour those into a well in the centre of the basket.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Bscull » 09 Apr 2017, 21:49

Thanks for the replies.

I like the heat beads as i get a long burn with them.

I'm convinced it's the door leaking air that causing the problem. I have ordered the FireBlack Gasket from Amazon and will do the Door, top and bottom of the middle sections (belts and braces). Will let you know.

Thanks for your help!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :D
Bscull
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 11 Apr 2017, 20:08

No worries. Also invest in a remote digital thermometer if you haven't done so already. Much more accurate than the ones they come with standard.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby NoviceGriller » 11 Apr 2017, 20:44

Since replying , I finally set up my wsm & gave it a whirl. I read through the instructions and it says not to use heat beads in it. They don't give any reason but just giving you guys a heads up.
NoviceGriller
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 13 Apr 2017, 16:24

NoviceGriller wrote:Since replying , I finally set up my wsm & gave it a whirl. I read through the instructions and it says not to use heat beads in it. They don't give any reason but just giving you guys a heads up.

Probably because they want you to use their own briquettes - which are pretty good too tbh!
I'll stick with the heatbeads though as I think they are better than the Weber ones.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice