Masonry bbq - what can I cook on it please ?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Masonry bbq - what can I cook on it please ?

Postby rogertb » 19 Feb 2017, 09:32

Hi chaps, you may not want to hear this but I don't really like smokey flavoured food, however a nice grilled lamb chop or a rotisserie chicken goes down well and the family enjoy the experience. I am therefore thinking about a masonry bbq but wondered what else I can cook on it, I guess a griddle plate would work ok and maybe a casserole or roasting tray could be placed above the 'coals' and allowed to bubble away, but without a 'door' in the front of the 'oven' area is this really efficient. I mean could I make pizza ?

Very grateful if someone stops me from making an expensive mistake (as if it's only good for flipping a few burgers I'll stick to my little cheap grill).

rogertb
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Masonry bbq - what can I cook on it please ?

Postby Tiny » 26 Feb 2017, 09:28

Hi, For me the traditional built in masonry bbq is really only suitable for flat out grilling. There is of course the option to stand a potje in it and cook yourself a nourishing stew or curry The only thing I would say is that slow cooked BBQ doesn't have to be overly smokey. If you don't add wood chunks then imho the food is barely smokey at all, more just savoury and if you have a good rub on this is the predominant flavour

Thus I would buy a weber kettle, you can grill but go so much further with a whole chicken, a butterflied leg of lamb, some ribs and all will be good....

Enjoy Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Masonry bbq - what can I cook on it please ?

Postby rogertb » 28 Feb 2017, 07:35

Thanks Tiny - I'll check the kettle out - good of you to take the time.

Roger
rogertb
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice