WSM brisket/pork shoulder advice for a newbie

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

WSM brisket/pork shoulder advice for a newbie

Postby Norv » 16 Nov 2016, 20:24

Evening chaps,

I've recently bought a used WSM and loving it so far, I've done 2 pork shoulders and one rack of ribs at the same time. I've found temp control relatively easy so far and it all seems to be going well. I've got a wireless twin probe thermometer and have had good success with aussie heatbeads. Both shoulders have turned out great and I'm eager to go again.

We have a weekend getaway planned with a few friends and I'm planning to take a pork shoulder and a brisket joint for us all as a meal on the Friday and snacks the rest of the weekend.

I'm aiming to do a 3kg pork shoulder and 3kg brisket point at the same time. In my head it makes sense to put the shoulder on the bottom grate and the brisket on top, reason being shoulder is a lot more forgiving (so I have read!) and I can keep a better eye on the brisket temps.

I've bought a cheap wired twin probe thermometer for the shoulder, just so it isn't complete guesswork. My plan is to start the cook Thurs evening and take them off when done Friday mid morning, wrap them in towels and chuck them in a coolbox until say 5 or 6pm, then whack them in an oven on a low temp until I'm ready to pull/slice it up. Does that sound like a plan?

I'm planning to foil both meats partway through the cook. Brisket will be foiled at 71-76c and marinaded, then taken off at 91-93c. The pork will be wrapped and marinaded at 71-74c and then taken off at 91-96c.

Hopefully, fire it up at 9, have temp balanced at 10. Then monitor overnight and foil as required before 6am (as I start work) then just leave the mrs to take them off when done. That should give around 10 hours for the shoulder and 12 for the brisket (if it needs that long). Oh and using either oak/apple or apple/cherry wood chunks.

Thanks in advance, I'm enjoying reading this fountain of knowledge and already planning more smokes!

Cheers, Mark.
Norv
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: WSM brisket/pork shoulder advice for a newbie

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 19 Nov 2016, 08:10

I would have thought 3kg would take 8-10hrs at 225 to 250.
I'd prob put shoulder below too as I reckon more rendering from that and if the brisket mainly HOF then I expect it would be ready sooner. However, I have not cooked these two together before so I may be spouting a load of bollocks. Hope it's going well.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Norv » 20 Nov 2016, 17:54

What does HOF mean, sorry fairly new to this!

Hoping to get it wrapped around 4:30 to 6am before work, then get the Mrs to take it off when they hit final temp. Still trying to work out timings when to start them off.

Thanks for the info. Now to look into what is best to serve with smoked brisket.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Norv
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 26 Nov 2016, 00:11

Hunk of flat. Brisket consists of two muscles termed in the states the flat and the point. HOF and HOP.
Check out Amazingribs.com
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice