A visit to Smithfields

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

A visit to Smithfields

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 10 Nov 2016, 21:56

Had a look around the forums but couldn't find any info on this - planning to visit Tom Hixson soon to get some brisket, and wondered if anyone had any tips on the best time to go? Website says they open at 2am, and I've read somewhere that it's best to get there by 7am, but can't recall if that's for traders or the public. Would obviously rather go in the day when getting to London is somewhat easier! Any help welcome. Cheers.
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: A visit to Smithfields

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 11 Nov 2016, 07:59

Might be better asking in the facebook group as it's more active and I know a few members have been
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 11 Nov 2016, 09:26

I've been there twice to go to Hixson and a couple of other places too. I usually get there for 2:30/3am because that way I can get home and get a bit of kip in before work!

If you're driving there is an NCP car park right next to the market so park there for £2.50 I think it is. You also avoid congestion charge that time of day and the roads are dead of course.

Take a cool box in the boot of your car and if you have one on wheels don't be afraid to wheel it in with you, plenty of people do that. Those old lady shopping carts seem popular too lol.

Hixson has just opened a new stall there which is twice the size so I'm sure the range will be superb but you'll be blown away by the prices of USDA brisket, short ribs and Auzzie briskets too. If they have any Iberico spare ribs, get some.

Other places there sell bog standard meat and a few treats but keep a look out for good deals on sirloin. Last time I was there nearly everybody was giving it away at £7.80/kg - at that price you might as well buy a whole striploin and cut your own steaks.

HAve fun and any questions fire away and I'll try my best to help.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 11 Nov 2016, 09:29

You'll also be surprised how cheap pork is. Whole loins for £15 is pretty standard and you won't pay more than about £2.50/kg for shoulder so a very nice boston butt will run you £20/25. If you want a butt make sure you ask for one on the bone as a lot of places sell boned shoulder and the last one I got from there looked like it had been butchered with a spade. It was £12 mind you!
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 11 Nov 2016, 09:57

Excellent! Thanks for the tips. Those prices sound amazing.

GingerBen, you've convinced me - a 3am trip it is. Had been reluctant to drive to London (which I've never done) but as you say, the roads are dead and there's no charge. Great tip on the NCP too, cheers. Still a few weeks off. and may even end up having to wait until the new year but looking forward to stocking up with brisket and ribs!

Cheers all.
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 11 Nov 2016, 10:05

No worries, it's totally worth the effort once every 3 months or so. I'm heading up again with a mate at the beginning of December to get my beef for Christmas - I fancy a dirty great Argentinian rib eye joint :)

For reference the prices obviously fluctuate a bit but the last Aus brisket I got from there which was around 5.5kg was £36. It's silly cheap. Make sure you shop around for other non-bbq type stuff though as prices do vary from one stall to another, as does quality.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vegas » 24 Dec 2016, 23:01

Gosh, seems like prices are much lower than the website!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Vegas
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice