Ash clearance on ProQ

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Ash clearance on ProQ

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 19 Oct 2016, 11:56

Has anyone tried any modifications to a ProQ (I've got a Frontier Elite) to help clear the ash build up on long cooks?

I've had to take the fire tray out and clear the ash from briquettes (I know, but they're cheap and effective for long burns, so bear with me), and whilst things turned out fine, it was a right faff. Was thinking of maybe drilling some holes in the very bottom of the smoker and adding another spinny vent (or similar) that could clear the ash onto a tray when needed. I think I've seen WSM with this kind of thing.

Thoughts welcome!
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Ash clearance on ProQ

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 23 Oct 2016, 19:36

Grumpy Jonze wrote:Has anyone tried any modifications to a ProQ (I've got a Frontier Elite) to help clear the ash build up on long cooks?

I've had to take the fire tray out and clear the ash from briquettes (I know, but they're cheap and effective for long burns, so bear with me), and whilst things turned out fine, it was a right faff. Was thinking of maybe drilling some holes in the very bottom of the smoker and adding another spinny vent (or similar) that could clear the ash onto a tray when needed. I think I've seen WSM with this kind of thing.

Thoughts welcome!

WSM does have a tray but no ash vent underneath so not sure why it's there.
I have a wsm 47 and never needed to clear ash during a cook. I use heat beads or Weber briquettes on really long cooks.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 24 Oct 2016, 13:35

I think it's the fuel that caused me to have to clear the ash. Used barbequick briquettes for an 18 hour pulled pork cook. Had to clear it after 12 or so hours. Never tried heat beads but tempted to give it a go. Got 24kg of briquettes left to use though - were £2.99 for 4kg bags at homebase, couldn't resist! Cheers.
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 24 Oct 2016, 16:21

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:WSM does have a tray but no ash vent underneath so not sure why it's there.
I have a wsm 47 and never needed to clear ash during a cook. I use heat beads or Weber briquettes on really long cooks.

It's a heat shield. The gap and the tray provide enough insulation to help prevent damage to whatever it is sitting on. Also, it will deflector heat back
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 24 Oct 2016, 17:09

TakingtheBrisket wrote:
BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:WSM does have a tray but no ash vent underneath so not sure why it's there.

It's a heat shield. The gap and the tray provide enough insulation to help prevent damage to whatever it is sitting on. Also, it will deflector heat back

Ahhh yes, now that make sense...Ta!
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 24 Oct 2016, 17:12

Grumpy Jonze wrote:I think it's the fuel that caused me to have to clear the ash. Used barbequick briquettes for an 18 hour pulled pork cook. Had to clear it after 12 or so hours. Never tried heat beads but tempted to give it a go. Got 24kg of briquettes left to use though - were £2.99 for 4kg bags at homebase, couldn't resist! Cheers.

I've had 18 hrs from heat beads and still had 1/3rd of the basket left in the end. They are awesome
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 25 Oct 2016, 07:09

Sold! Heatcshields it is for the next pork butt. Really didn't fancy cutting holes in my frontier. Cheers all.
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice