Pork joint on Weber One-Touch

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Pork joint on Weber One-Touch

Postby twelvebears » 04 May 2011, 07:03

Folks, newbie advice required!

So having just binned a crappy gas BBQ and got a proper Weber instead, I'd like to have a crack and something more satisfying that bergers, steaks and sausages this weekend.

I'd like to do a nice pork joint by indirect but could do with some tips.

Is it really as rub and roll joint and place to one side over drip tray and have coals on the other and be patient?
twelvebears
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Pork joint on Weber One-Touch

Postby Steve » 04 May 2011, 09:06

It's pretty much that simple :lol:

Firstly, what joint are you looking to cook? A shoulder takes a lot more cooking than a leg and benefits more from being cooked at a lower temperature. If you let us know what cut you're looking to cook then we can give you more specific advice.

Also there's a number of different fire configurations you could use, coals to one side, soals either side of a drip tray, ring of fire... Which one you use will depend on a number of factors including personal preference.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby twelvebears » 04 May 2011, 09:47

I'm probably thinking pork-belly as it's a personal favorite.

Ideally crispy crackling and lovely and soft in the middle, so was assuming around 3 hrs on a lowish heat?
twelvebears
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Steve » 04 May 2011, 10:15

OK with belly, it can be more difficult to get the crispy crackling at a lower heat. It's a common complaint about low 'n' slow that you don't get crackling although you should be able to remove the skin and cook for longer to get crackling.

If I were doing belly on a kettle, I would aim for a higher temperature cook and hit it with some smoke at the beginning. I'd look to get similar temperatures as I would use in an oven and I'd configure the charcoal on both sides with the belly in the middle over a drip tray.

Others may offer different ideas though...
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice