Lil' Devils Pellets

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Lil' Devils Pellets

Postby Chris__M » 19 Apr 2011, 13:16

Anyone come across a brand of pellet call Lil' Devils? Appears to be an american brand which is a mixture of woods - "special recipe of alder, apple, hickory, maple, mesquite, and other Secret ingredients".

Anyway, they are now being supplied in the UK by Liverpool Wood Pellets. I contacted them with an enquiry when I first got my pellet grill, and they weren't doing food grade pellets then. Obviously they have sat up and listened.

At 25 quid for 3 x 9kg bags (so under 9 quid a bag, including delivery), it seems a good price, and the price improves with further volume. I am going to place an order for the minimum 3 bags, and see how they burn.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Lil' Devils Pellets

Postby Steve » 19 Apr 2011, 14:06

I'm about to put in a charcoal order with them and they said they'd send me down some of these pellets to try on the Traeger. I'll provide feedback too when I've had a go with them.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 19 Apr 2011, 15:06

DrSweetsmoke wrote:Personally I would wait until they have been at it for a while. I have see some incredible things coming out of manufacturing new products.

I'm don't think they are actually manufacturing them, but are importing them in from an existing BBQ pellet manufacturer - West Oregon Wood Products - in the States. When I spoke to Liverpool Wood Pellets last year, they said they weren't geared up for food grade pellets, so I am guessing they are bringing in these to perhaps see what the market is.

I did do a search in the usual places for Stateside reviews of Lil Devil pellets, but didn't find much.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 19 Apr 2011, 15:23

No worries - I wasn't exactly clear in my original post! :lol:

Anyway, I am guessing, but I would suspect that by buying in food-grade pellets, it will let them judge the market at minimal cost. If I was in their business, then selling imported pellets, even at cost, would be a useful exercise, knowing that if the market proved big enough for them to start production themselves, then they are probably looking at a profitable venture.

As it happens, I am down to one sack of Jackie's pellets and one sack of the "Louisiana Grills" pellets I bought a while back. So I needed to stock up a bit.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 20 Apr 2011, 10:57

I have to say I am impressed with the service. I only ordered them yesterday afternoon, and the doorbell just rang with the delivery. It's not even 24 hours, yet.

They are full 20lb bags (sold in the UK as 9kg), manufactured - as I thought - by West Oregon Wood Products.

http://www.wowpellets.com

I'm planning on cooking some pork chops tonight, so I will empty my hopper and give them a try.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dieselracer13 » 26 Apr 2011, 10:05

Chris__M wrote:I have to say I am impressed with the service. I only ordered them yesterday afternoon, and the doorbell just rang with the delivery. It's not even 24 hours, yet.

They are full 20lb bags (sold in the UK as 9kg), manufactured - as I thought - by West Oregon Wood Products.

http://www.wowpellets.com

I'm planning on cooking some pork chops tonight, so I will empty my hopper and give them a try.

Chris

It will be interesting to hear your feedback on these Pellets, did you get to try them over Easter?

Thanks, Mark
dieselracer13
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 26 Apr 2011, 12:21

No, I was away over Easter, and this weekend coming I am also away (although I am going to be corrupting a friend with a long-term loan of my Weber Kettle - mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha).

I did cook the chops I mentioned in my last post, and very fine they were too, but I was doing 3 things at once, so didn't empty the hopper. I was grilling them on High anyway, so the pellet type wouldn't have made that much difference, I think.

I will be trying smoking with them the weekend after next, and will let you know what I think.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dieselracer13 » 26 Apr 2011, 13:49

Chris__M wrote:No, I was away over Easter, and this weekend coming I am also away (although I am going to be corrupting a friend with a long-term loan of my Weber Kettle - mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha).

I did cook the chops I mentioned in my last post, and very fine they were too, but I was doing 3 things at once, so didn't empty the hopper. I was grilling them on High anyway, so the pellet type wouldn't have made that much difference, I think.

I will be trying smoking with them the weekend after next, and will let you know what I think.

Nice one, I'll have to catch up when we get back from St Lucia :D :D :D 8-) 8-)
dieselracer13
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 08 May 2011, 20:11

Hi Chris,

Have you had a chance to test these pellets yet? I too am down to my last bag and am looking at where I should buy my next lot from.

Thanks,

Ed
Swindon_Ed

Postby Chris__M » 08 May 2011, 23:31

I've been using them all during this week. They are fine for cooking, but I don't seem to be getting much smoke out of them. Correction to that, there is plenty of smoke coming off them, but not that much smoke flavour in the meat.

However, I should say that everything I have been cooking this week has been small stuff (burgers, pork loin etc.), so although it was smoking, it was for no more than a couple of hours. It may well be that a brisket or pork shoulder may get more of a flavour out of them.

Today, I was going to empty the hopper and switch to some of the oak that I have still, for comparison tests (I think that came from Jackie, but I can't recall). However, it was a sunny day, and I got stuck into gardening, so when it came time to cook, I just used what was in the hopper. I'm now nearly at the end of the first bag I ordered, so I will finish that off, and then stick in the oak.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice