how high can a proq go?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

how high can a proq go?

Postby mowse73 » 30 Mar 2011, 22:50

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anybody can tell me how high they can get their proq smoker. I tried a cooking a chicken the other day, and i managed to reach about 275f i was hoping to go a bit higher. i left the water pan in but just put some foil in it.
thx martin
mowse73
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: how high can a proq go?

Postby Eddie » 31 Mar 2011, 02:39

I've got a pro q excel 20, a lot of people dont like them, but I think it's a great little smoker. When I started to use it, I was useing the water mehod and the qickly move to the clay saucer mehod, and now I can use it like a oven. Have a look at the all weather griller step by step guide. It is in the low and slow smoking section of the forum, under 'Clay saucer, what's the UK's verdict' just click on the link. If you have a weyvale garden center near you, they do a 42cm Clay saucer for about a £10. Some people have purchased a cheeper one's, but they end up cracking.
You might have to test your temp gauge, to see if it is running at the right reading ?
Some members use sand in thier water bowl, that also works well, but i have'nt tried it myself.
Might be fuel ? The only time when I use B & Q lumpwood is when I need to get the chimley starter up and running. Other then that I use Heat beads.

Let us know how you get on.

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 31 Mar 2011, 12:46

What thermomiter are you using as if your using the one in the lid you'll probilly be well over 300f as they aren't that reliable.

I cooked Turkey at Chirstmas on my ProQ and i managed to keep a constant temp' of 350f and it was pretty cold out.

I do use a clay saucer and was using a digital termomiter to check my temp's.
Swindon_Ed

Postby mowse73 » 31 Mar 2011, 14:59

Swindon_Ed wrote:What thermomiter are you using as if your using the one in the lid you'll probilly be well over 300f as they aren't that reliable.

I cooked Turkey at Chirstmas on my ProQ and i managed to keep a constant temp' of 350f and it was pretty cold out.

I do use a clay saucer and was using a digital termomiter to check my temp's.

Hi Ed, i have a maverick thermometer(the new model). Did you use the saucer for the turkey?
Perhaps i have to open the vents at the bottom more.
mowse73
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 31 Mar 2011, 19:37

We have done Crispy Acrobatic Duck in an Excel up at 450*f

All vents open and Heat Beads.
All Weather Griller

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice