Hand of pulled pork?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Hand of pulled pork?

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 22 Sep 2016, 19:13

Just bought a 9lb bone-in pork shoulder from the butcher, looks lovely, but ...they've labelled it up as hand of pork. Which is a cut from nearer the top if the front leg. Should've paid more attention i guess. Question is, is it still good for putting on the smoker as per a shoulder? Thinking about 12-14 hours at 225f.

Thanks!
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hand of pulled pork?

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 23 Sep 2016, 23:16

Sounds good to me.

It's done when it's done but yes, will be a good long cook. If you want to slice and serve anything from 190 internal temp will be awesome imo. If you want to pull, then 203f internal is the magic number.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 24 Sep 2016, 10:44

Thanks! It's been on since mudnight at 225. Been spritzing it with apple juice occasionally, and it's looking good. Hooefully it'll hit 203 by mid afternoon. Will put some pics up if all's good!
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 24 Sep 2016, 13:27

Aiming for pulled pork so happy to give it all afternoon if needs be. It went on at midnight and i've refuelled the coals once already but it's been fairly stable at 225ish. Put some pork ribs on too just now so will probably need another refuel later, perhaps. Finger crossed, but it looks good so far.
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 24 Sep 2016, 20:23

First cook all done, and eaten. Thanks for your encouragement, appreciate it. The ribs were fantastic - smokey, great bark (used a stubb's rub recipe from Rob Walsh's Texas bbq book) and fell off the bone. Gave them five hours then half hour wrapped in the oven to finish as i didn't fancy refueling the smoker again.

The pork, which had 18 hours at 225 (and a bit under for a while as i promptly fell asleep once it was all on and smoking around midnight) was beyond my wildest expectations. Spritzed it a lot with appple juice, and finished in oven for an hour wrapped. Great bark, deep smoke ring, awesome. Pictures below...
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 25 Sep 2016, 16:18

Sounds awesome. Yes, the stall period can add serious time to a long cook. Always remember to give extra time on a long cook as if it's ready early you can always wrap in foil and a couple of towels and put in a well insulated cooler box and it will stay nice and hot for anything up to 4 hours.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice