choices=headache

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

choices=headache

Postby beer bq » 01 Sep 2016, 16:25

hi, I am new to smoking and have just used my large bbq grill in the past, and recently a tandoori pot made from flower pots. I have also bought an UUni 2 pizza oven which works well, so my passion for homebrew seems to be on the wain. I was interested in the WSM and the Bradley smoker at Costco's. However the Bradley doesn't seem to great great reviews, and the WSM much better. Different beasts I know.
I have now stumbled along and seen these Pellet Smokers, which seem pretty cool. The Daniel Boone and Traeger seem most appropriate, tho the reviews can be sketchy on both- at least on Amazon.
Anybody like to offer any suggestions or reviews on these items or others ? I would be looking to cook for 6+.
cheers
Fraser
beer bq
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: choices=headache

Postby Lord Grim » 05 Sep 2016, 12:50

I can't say that I've used either, but our very own @Tiny (not sure whether the "@" works on here or not...guess we'll find out when I click submit...) is a proponent of the Daniel Boone.
And there's a couple of threads on here debating the merits of the Traeger.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 05 Sep 2016, 12:51

P.S. It turns out that "@" doesn't work here....
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 06 Sep 2016, 20:59

Grim old chum,
On my screen reading software aTiny suggested you had tried to tag me....

So The Bradley, if you want to spend your life savings on pellet pucks that work ok but leave you with a faintly unreliable this is for you. If you want the noble majesty of proper charcoal and wood then the WSM is for you, in the same way it is good to strip buck bollik naked dye yourself blue in woad and set fire to your pubic hair is a good idea....when it comes to authenticity and fire this is top of the tree this is it. Personally prefer an easier life.

GMG DB set the grill and meat temps by wifi, burn pure wood smoke to cook your meat and drink beer while it happens.....

Booom! tell me why not? I cook splendid BBQ with my guide dog sat next to me , that is how good it is,
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 15 Sep 2016, 08:34

beer bq wrote:hi, I am new to smoking and have just used my large bbq grill in the past, and recently a tandoori pot made from flower pots. I have also bought an UUni 2 pizza oven which works well, so my passion for homebrew seems to be on the wain. I was interested in the WSM and the Bradley smoker at Costco's. However the Bradley doesn't seem to great great reviews, and the WSM much better. Different beasts I know.
I have now stumbled along and seen these Pellet Smokers, which seem pretty cool. The Daniel Boone and Traeger seem most appropriate, tho the reviews can be sketchy on both- at least on Amazon.
Anybody like to offer any suggestions or reviews on these items or others ? I would be looking to cook for 6+.
cheers
Fraser

Pros and cons to all of these cookers really mate so it's about weighing up what's important to you. Tiny is a big fan on the GMG's as they suit him really well and produce good reliable results. Other people like WSM's because they want to be able to fiddle with fires and vents and control how much wood they use etc. I have owned both units and like them both but they are different. I haven't owned or used a Bradley but to be honest I hear too much negativity or at least very average reviews of them so have personally chosen to stear clear.

the other option to consider if you haven't already is to buy a weber kettle bbq as you can do almost anything you want to on one of those. If smoking rather than grilling (direct heat) is more your thing then you could get a kettle with a slow and sear attachment and be laughing. Alternatively shell out for a Kamado and be king of the grill! lol.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice