Advice on building a brick BBQ/Smoker

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Advice on building a brick BBQ/Smoker

Postby Dibbley247 » 01 Sep 2016, 16:13

Hi all

Now that we have settled into our new home, and spent the last year doing up the interior, I'm now focusing on the back garden for next year, and part of that project I would like to build a brick bbq/Smoker.

Don't want anything huge, as we are a family of 4 (1 is vegetarian so would want to keep her food slightly away from the meat lovers) and would also have another family or two over so would need to big enough to do this.
I'm thinking a small smoker on one side, and the grilling part on the opposite. And probably plumb in a small stone sink next to it too if there's room.

I've been watching some videos on some being made, and am trying to find out what's NEEDED.

Below are my questions:

Do I NEED fire bricks? If so, what's the minimum? As I've seen some not use them at all, and some say you need them only as high as the flames go?

If I was to render and paint the outside of it (don't think I would, but depends on what colour theme the boss decides at the time which surrounds it all) would this crack with the heat, or will the internal brick not transfer the heat well to the outside brick?

How would I go about controlling the temperature for smoking? I was thinking of some sort of manual damper by the chimney? And also some sort of control where the wind blows in?

What temperature are you aiming for in the smoking section, and I'm guessing the temperature guage would be at the level of where the food would be?

What is common to use to seal the doors? I was thinking of the rope which is used on fire places, as I've seen some videos where the smoke is bellowing out if the hatch rather than down into the next section of the smoke house (different build to what I'm looking at)

If there's any other advice, that'll be great, you don't know what you don't know!!

Some of these may sound daft, but I won't start anything until I've done all the research. I've practically done everything in the house via Google & YouTube, and I reckon this will be a nice little project in comparison.

Many Thanks
Dibbley247
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice