Meat - butcher or supermarket

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Meat - butcher or supermarket

Postby 3 little pigs » 24 Aug 2016, 12:04

Thoughts guys?

I've been using the butcher a lot but when I'm cooking for a few friends, I'm finding I'm spending a lot there....

For instance, I bought a big bit of prok shoulder. Went to the supermarket and saw a similar cut for a lot less - maybe 1/2 or so of the butcher.

I'm guessing if it's lo n slo - there won't be much difference???
3 little pigs
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Meat - butcher or supermarket

Postby Tiny » 24 Aug 2016, 17:59

Hi,
There are often offers on Pork Shoulders at the supermarkets so it is tempting, but often these are cobbled together with bits to make weight and you have the pfaff of untying them skinning them and retying. So for me I have a decent butcher that does a fair price so when I ask him for a pork collar for the smoker it comes skinned rolled and in a perfect barrel shape. I also get the skin as a single piece for crackling so I am happy to pay a bit more.

That said the Tesco Value shoulders are great value if you are doing a load of pp and are not too precious about the quality or dare I say the welfare of the animal that supplied them.

Our local butchers are all top chaps so I am keen to support them,
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice