I got me a brand new Proq Frontier Elite!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Postby sethh1970 » 14 Jul 2016, 20:03

Just received my new baby! Put it together quickly enough, and am going to burn it in on Saturday morning, then shove some chicken and baby backs in it for my first cook. Any advice for this impressive beast?
sethh1970
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: I got me a brand new Proq Frontier Elite!

Postby Lord Grim » 15 Jul 2016, 09:40

Nope, because I've never used one!
You'll just have to settle for my best wishes for fantastic weather and a good cook.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby DIYJoker » 15 Jul 2016, 19:09

I burned mine out with a chimney of lumpwood and a couple of chunks of oak after first assembly, left it with all vents open until all fuel was gone.
Next day cooked port shoulder for pulled pork.

Great bit of kit, enjoy!
DIYJoker
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby sethh1970 » 15 Jul 2016, 21:14

Here's hoping!
sethh1970
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sethh1970 » 19 Jul 2016, 21:44

Thanks for the burnout advice. Was going to do it over the weekend, but the heavens opened. Now I'm back at work, dry as anything. Not happy!
sethh1970
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 20 Jul 2016, 21:14

Basically the same as a WSM which there loads of info for on this forum and on the net generally. Try Amazing Ribs, sure they have a how to for the WSM.

Let us know how the cook goes.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BoneCandyBBQ » 21 Jul 2016, 08:11

Ahh good luck chap.

I went down to my local butchers and told him what I was planning. He chucked me a load of Pork Fat off cuts and bits and bones for me to help season it with. I just seasoned it the once then chucked a set of pork ribs on which tuned out ok for a first go.

The first 5-10 cooks it's just about getting a feel for how your particular smoker works so that before long it feels like an old girl/boyfriend in your hands.

Good luck, welcome and enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoneCandyBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sethh1970 » 02 Aug 2016, 22:15

Thanks guys! Finally seasoned it with some oak and got to use it the next day for ribs and chicken.

Used the clay saucer method, put the chicken on the middle section with the Myron Mixon chicken rub out his book, and the ribs on the top using the old Memphis dust recipe with the salt. 3 hours for the chicken and 4 for the baby backs using the 2-2-1 method at 250. Used big K lump wood from Morrisons using the minion method, 3/4 tray + 3/4 of a lit chimney, and a few foil pouches of JimBeam oak whiskey barrel chips( £2.00 a box end of season last year at Tesco -bought 5!)

Came to temp quite quickly, shut the vents down to half and it stayed stable for the full 4 hours. Not much charcoal left at the end, probably due to it being cheaper lumpwood.

Chicken was juicy, wonderful with a surprisingly non rubbery, slightly crisp skin. The ribs were moist and smokey, very tender but not mushy. Very pleased with R2D2 as we fondly know him now!

Hoping to get a frozen turkey from Morrisons tomorrow, and will try it on Thursday/Friday, failing that, Ashda has pork shoulder at £2.50 a kilo at the moment, so will try to get the biggest one of them I can.
sethh1970
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 05 Aug 2016, 12:28

Glad it went well. :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice