HELP!: My First Boston Butt...

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

HELP!: My First Boston Butt...

Postby slicker55 » 12 Jul 2016, 20:29

Hi Guys,

Earlier today, I found a very knowledgeable local butcher who has supplied me with a Boston Butt which I intend to smoke on my new WSM as soon as the weather picks up - currently chucking it down here in the West Midlands, UK.

I'm here to get as much advice as possible hoping to ensure that my first butt smoke goes well. You're all invited round when it's done cos weighing in at almost 6lb the wife and myself will need some help to see it off.

I'm planning on using Stubb's injectable marinade and leaving it overnight. I'm also thinking of applying Stubb's Pork rub a couple of hours before starting the smoking process.

Question: Shall I remove all the rind off the joint before applying the rub?

Any other tips gratefully appreciated.

As a newbie, I also need to know whether I am allowed to post details of the butcher?

Pictures to follow soon...
slicker55
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: HELP!: My First Boston Butt...

Postby essexsmoker » 12 Jul 2016, 20:49

You defo need to take the rind off before the rub goes on. Cut the fat down to about 1/8 inch, then rub your butt. Lol.

On a WSM I'd cook it fat down.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby slicker55 » 12 Jul 2016, 21:10

Thanks for your reply

I want to post some pics which also show details of the butcher - am I allowed to include this type of information?
slicker55
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 13 Jul 2016, 06:28

slicker55 wrote:Thanks for your reply

I want to post some pics which also show details of the butcher - am I allowed to include this type of information?

This isn't Grindr! ;)

I have no objection and I doubt anyone else has.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slicker55 » 13 Jul 2016, 10:59

Thanks ...

I get the impression some people throughout the UK find it difficult to source certain cuts of meat like a Boston Butt.

Although new to this forum, I have already read a few posts from UK people saying their butchers have never heard of this cut of meat and it also appears that some people (myself included) are using a rolled pork joint (more commonly sold throughout the UK) instead of the proper thing.

When I first visited a local butcher and asked if I could get a Boston Butt, the elder of the two butchers immediately said he'd never heard of one but then the younger guy stepped forward and said he knew exactly what I wanted. The two had a brief 'technical' conversation before the older guy said, 'ah, you mean a bone-in pork shoulder'. He then fetched a whole pig and started cutting it up for me.

So, maybe a couple of useful pointers to help those having problems getting a Boston Butt...

1. Go to a butcher who rears and kills his own meat as opposed to a supermarket
2. Be prepared to explain what you're after if the butcher isn't familiar with the name Boston Butt
3. Expect the cut to weigh around 6lb (give or take) and cost approx £15

Hope this post is helpful

Here's my pics...

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... bhfpzk.jpg
slicker55
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 13 Jul 2016, 12:38

I think neck-end pork shoulder describes what we would ask for in the UK.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby slicker55 » 13 Jul 2016, 13:18

Hi essexsmoker,

Thanks - I think it's just a matter of persisting - they can soon chop the right part out once they know what you're after.. the younger guy was right on the money... he also picked up another piece which he called the 'hand of pork'... this is a whole new world to me :)
slicker55
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 13 Jul 2016, 14:49

Welcome,
The naming convention does vary, my butcher refers to it as a "collar" Hand of pork makes good roast pork but doesn't pull too well.

Shoulders vary massively in size, yours is about average but have seen 15lb ones in the past.

As for your approach, cant comment on injecting as I have never bothered, as Essex has said trim off the rind and some of the fat rub it up and sling it on, don't be too precious about temp as pork is pretty forgiving, decide for yourself on wrap or not, personally I always do as the Stall drives me mad, would go with a fruitwood or hickory as both work well with pork, the former lighter than the latter and allow plenty of time as it will hold warm for ages and if you don't take the temp high enough then no pp for you.

And enjoy!
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 13 Jul 2016, 18:19

I have it in my head that hand of pork is more the pinic lower part, which is too lean? Not sure on that though.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby slicker55 » 13 Jul 2016, 19:01

Hi Guys,

I'm really pleased this conversation has taken off especially since I have started to make a list of things I want to clarify before stuffing things up.

I was going to research this forum before posting any of these questions but if you guys are happy to chat, then I'll fire away!
slicker55
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice