ProQ saucer in waterpan

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

ProQ saucer in waterpan

Postby DIYJoker » 12 Jul 2016, 14:31

I know there are a few posts on here about using a saucer in a the water pan of ProQ's/WSM, but I am still not 100% clear on what to do, could you experts help me out? (apologies if these questions have been answered before, I have looked through the forums)

I have a ProQ Frontier elite which works fine for low n slow with water in the pan, like many others I struggle to get the temps up beyond 150c with water in, no water the temp shoots up

My questions are
Is it important how the saucer fits inside the water pan, does the saucer have to be a snug fit just inside the mouth of the water pan, leaving a gap between the bottom of the saucer and bottom of the pan?

If the fit is important what is the best size saucer, 34cm?

Apart from being unglazed and not plastic is there anything else I need to consider for the saucer?

Is there any advantage using a saucer over sand in the waterpan?

and the last one, where can buy the right one? I have looked in local garden centres and they are either glazed, to big to fit (40cm+) or small and sit in the bottom of the pan (30cm). Ebay was not much use either...

Thanks guys
DIYJoker
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: ProQ saucer in waterpan

Postby sethh1970 » 14 Jul 2016, 20:01

I think it's a case of getting one that fits snugly in the pan after covering with foil to keep it clean. Doesn't have to touch the bottom of the pan as it will do its heat evening thing wherever it lies.
sethh1970
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby DIYJoker » 20 Sep 2016, 09:04

After trying all sizes I could find, a 36cm saucer has done the trick.

The lip of the saucer sits on the top of the water pan, with a couple of layers of foil it seals nicely.

Its great for hotter cooks 275f and above, I don't think it will work for low and slow (225f), I cannot get a stable temp down below 240f
I plan to improve the sealing on the doors and stackers by using high temp sealer recommend on here.
DIYJoker
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 21 Sep 2016, 08:13

I have o e that sits inside my water pan and I then cover the pan with foil. Works great even for cooks at 225f.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby DIYJoker » 22 Sep 2016, 12:23

I think the problem is with my bottom vents, they are very loose, even when they are closed there is a 1/4" gap between the vent and the smoker body, and they spin around under gravity.
When I got it new about 4 months ago they were okay, seems like the rivets have loosened over time

I contacted the guys at proQ, excellent response, they are sending me out some bolts to replace the rivets, I reckon once the vents are tight and I seal up the doors and stacker I'll be able to hold any temp :D :D
DIYJoker
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 22 Sep 2016, 18:35

DIYJoker wrote:I think the problem is with my bottom vents, they are very loose

Loose bottom vent? I guess old age catches all of us eventually :lol: :lol:
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby DIYJoker » 26 Sep 2016, 12:04