2nd smoke-1st mistake(s)!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

2nd smoke-1st mistake(s)!

Postby CamandEve'sdad » 07 Mar 2011, 21:35

Hello all,
Had a go at cooking a couple of beer butt chickens on Sunday but it didnt quite go the way i hoped. Firstly couldnt light the chimney starter(too windy) so moved it into the garage...BIG mistake! THe flames were reaching up to the rafters and i thought it was going to burn down! Secondly,during the cook heard a hissing sound and when i lifted the lid to look the poor birds were covered in a light coating of grey ash due to a small hole in the foiled water pan which bubbled out!(managed to brush them down but didnt eat the skin this time) Lastly, as a taste test brined one chicken overnight and left one ''as is''. Rubbed them both in salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and bay and cooked them for about an hour and half. However after removing and resting for 30 mins forgot what one was bloody what :o :oops: During the whole process also had to put up with my wife moaning and asking me ''who cooks outside in March?'' and ''Is it really worth it?'' to which my reply was, YES!
Anyway both tasted lovely served with cheesy-spring onion mash, gravy and corn on the cob. :D
Luckily didnt take any photos or i might have thrown the camera!!
CamandEve'sdad
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: 2nd smoke-1st mistake(s)!

Postby British BBQ Society » 08 Mar 2011, 08:26

CamandEve'sdad wrote:Hello all,
Had a go at cooking a couple of beer butt chickens on Sunday but it didnt quite go the way i hoped. Firstly couldnt light the chimney starter(too windy) so moved it into the garage...BIG mistake! THe flames were reaching up to the rafters and i thought it was going to burn down! Secondly,during the cook heard a hissing sound and when i lifted the lid to look the poor birds were covered in a light coating of grey ash due to a small hole in the foiled water pan which bubbled out!(managed to brush them down but didnt eat the skin this time) Lastly, as a taste test brined one chicken overnight and left one ''as is''. Rubbed them both in salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and bay and cooked them for about an hour and half. However after removing and resting for 30 mins forgot what one was bloody what :o :oops: During the whole process also had to put up with my wife moaning and asking me ''who cooks outside in March?'' and ''Is it really worth it?'' to which my reply was, YES!
Anyway both tasted lovely served with cheesy-spring onion mash, grany and corn on the cob. :D
Luckily didnt take any photos or i might have thrown the camera!!

OK, a few questions, I have never known a chimney starter to flare up, I assume you were using charcoal in there and a few pieces of newspaper underneath, sounds like you may have been using self lighting charcoal or wood?

What did you have in the waterpan? firstly this should not be covered, if you had water in there, it could not have given off ash due to the moisture, if you were using the clay saucer method everything should have been foiled in which case no ash again.

Had you seasoned the smoker? sounds likethe ash could have been manufacturing residue which needs to be burnt off first. If you can let us have a bitmore info I am sure we will be able to work out a solution for you,
Cheers

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 08 Mar 2011, 08:39

From your description, I'm guessing you foiled the water pan but water got underneath the foil then found its way to the underside of the pan before dropping onto the coals giving you ash puffs.

As Toby said above, if you're using water don't foil the inside of your water pan. If you're on clay, you won't get any of the above problems.

I too am intrigued as to what was in your chimney, I often see flames up to a foot high from the top of a chimney when its going but I've never had anything that would be high enough to reach the rafters of the garage :shock:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CamandEve'sdad » 08 Mar 2011, 20:12

I was using lump charcoal in the blue bag from mackro. The ash was a result of water finding its way through a hole in the foil and dripping onto the charcoal, its to make clean up easier, used it before no problem.
CamandEve'sdad
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 08 Mar 2011, 20:37

I'd avoid foiling the water pan when using water, sometimes you'll be ok, sometimes you won't. Read any of the discussions around the various forums on this matter and they'll agree on this point. As long as you don't let the pan run dry, cleanup won't be too bad.

I'd recommend shifting to clay anyway.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CamandEve'sdad » 09 Mar 2011, 18:33

Thanks for the advice Doc- will try that next time.
CamandEve'sdad
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice