Which one Pro Q Frontier or WSM

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Which one Pro Q Frontier or WSM

Postby Vic. » 15 Mar 2011, 17:29

good stuff......
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 24 Mar 2011, 10:41

I agree with Al, if your smoker has been left for a while it needs a burn before cooking food on it. A couple of hours running nice and hot will do the job.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post when I said a quick burn I meant without food.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 24 Mar 2011, 11:47

[quote="Mike_P_in_Tucson"]I also have an Excel 20, which I think you should look at as an alternative to a WSM.

I have cooked on both. The WSM is a bit better built and is easier on charcoal, allowing somewhat longer cook times before reloading, in my experience. quote]

This is something i've been wanting to try with my Stoker, but Sadly it's lost with USPS at the moment, i think Adie will have his Jambo before i get my Stoker :(
Swindon_Ed

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 Mar 2011, 18:03

Swindon_Ed wrote:i think Adie will have his Jambo before i get my Stoker :(

The Jambo should arrive 6th May in the UK, it's with AMTRACK now heading to Galveston.
All Weather Griller

Postby LM600 » 24 Mar 2011, 20:41

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Vic. wrote:what would you recommend in maintenance each year? would you clean the interior and season it, or just season it ontop of last years smoke?

You need to give your smoker a good clean if you are not using it for an extended period of time.

The real issue is that seasoning is a good thing but if you don't often cook at high heats the small amounts of product that get left on top of the original seasoning will turn funky and the next time you bring that cooker up to temp all that nastyness will come alive and start giving you some rank grub.

I have seen cookers sit all winter then get a relatively quick 'once-over' then straight back to cooking.That aint the game for me, it's gotta have a high heat cleaning before even considering producing any food.

*edit to add-* I'm one of those guys that gives the cutting board a wash before using it even though It was washed after the last use that's just the way I am when it comes to food safety. 8-)

Yep. My Brinkmann stays outside rain or shine or snow and it's got that nice "used" look to it....but, when I lift the lid this weekend I know it's going to be full of furry stuff waving at me.

So, I load it up with some charcoal...I'm looking for a strong flame here, I let it burn topping up as required...throw some wood on once in a while....I try and hit at least 500°F for at least four hours (Spring cigar and beer time!)
Once this is done, I leave it, clean it and it's good to go again....might seem a bit of a faff but it's cool...once it's burning I crack on with other things!
LM600

Postby All Weather Griller » 25 Mar 2011, 05:20

I use an old Army trick. I bag up the WSM in thick garden bin liners, place a towel in the bottom and pour in a bottle of household ammonia. Leave it for 48 hours then wash it gently with a sponge and soapy water. I'm finding elbow grease hard to come by these days and I'm trying to preserve mine.

This trick has worked on Army march-outs for over 50 years and does my WSM's proud.

Once completed, re-season as new. Before someone asks, no there is not after taste.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice