How do i use a Traeger?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: How do i use a Traeger?

Postby Steve » 23 Feb 2011, 12:19

I had a quote for a digital controller from Germany, it wasn't cheap and I've not bought one yet due to house buying costs :(

My thoughts are that it is essential if I decide to use the Traeger in competition because I need consistent cooker behaviour. At home I've been generally satisifed with the quality of the food coming off but there is a varyance depending on the weather. When I cooked on Saturday it was so cold that smoke wasn't hot enough for my liking, but medium was too high for what I was doing.

I might have to get osme of these frog mat things though.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 23 Feb 2011, 14:13

crsmoke070 wrote:The first thing I would do is what DrSweetSmoke said is to cover your drip pan with foil and I also line the grease bucket with foil.

Bookers do a foil pudding basin, that comes in packs of 50 for about 7 quid. It fits into the bucket exactly - not as high, but all the mess seems to hit the basin, with just a dribble on the edge of the bucket that is easily wiped.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 23 Feb 2011, 14:17

Steve wrote:I had a quote for a digital controller from Germany, it wasn't cheap and I've not bought one yet due to house buying costs :(

Ah, I am currently waiting for a quote, so I will probably be disappointed when I get it.

The thing that led me to look at that came from a post I made on Pelletheads about a quick mod I had thought of that I could do at least the initial stage of for free, as I have the components in my spares box already.

I don't think I got much of a response on the actual idea idea itself, but lots of advice on getting the digital controller.

If the digital controller is too much, I may still examine my cheapo method. I'll post in here about it later, for people to laugh at me. :lol:
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby rding » 23 Feb 2011, 15:32

Hi
I have a Lil tex waiting for me down at Jackies and am just waiting to find the time to go pick it up. I mailed Traeger about shipping a cover over and they put me in touch with the distributer for 230v Tragers who are in Australia I have the price list and a digital thermostat is 150 $(£93) but god knows what the shipping would be.
rding
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 23 Feb 2011, 15:35

Chris__M wrote:If the digital controller is too much, I may still examine my cheapo method. I'll post in here about it later, for people to laugh at me. :lol:

OK, idea posted. Apologies for such a long post.

http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=784
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 23 Feb 2011, 15:39

rding wrote:Hi
I have a Lil tex waiting for me down at Jackies and am just waiting to find the time to go pick it up. I mailed Traeger about shipping a cover over and they put me in touch with the distributer for 230v Tragers who are in Australia I have the price list and a digital thermostat is 150 $(£93) but god knows what the shipping would be.

That was the other option I was considering before I found out that Germany does them. That price is actually much better than I expected, but as well as shipping, you also need to factor in:

Import Duty
Import VAT
"Administrative Charges" by carrier to pay the Duty/Tax in advance, on your behalf.

The third one is the one that irritates me. A couple of times I have ended up with a 25 quid "Admin Charge" on an item where the tax and duty themselves were only that much themselves.

Dealing with Germany, being in the EU, this is not an issue.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice