New to Smoking - What to build?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

New to Smoking - What to build?

Postby MikeB » 13 Jun 2016, 13:19

First post - be gentle with me!!

I've been grilling for a while and have read far too much about smoking to stop now so I've decided to take the plunge. I'm more of a hands on guy though so decided to build rather than buy.

Generally I'm only cooking for two and a couple of (very) little ones so dont need massive capacity - already have a Smokey Joe so I was leaning towards a Mini WSM but found new oil drums for around the same price I seem to need to spend for a pot to make the WSM (£45). Then I started thinking about a UDS or even a mini UDS and now I cant decide.

So advice please - what would you do if it was a choice between a Mini WSM, UDS or mini UDS? Or something else!
MikeB
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: New to Smoking - What to build?

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 14 Jun 2016, 13:30

I have a WSM 47. I looked at the 37 and just think it's too small. The wonderful think about smoking is it makes catering for a few friends really easy as you can shove on one or two big chunks of meat and forget about them and that will feed the lot. I recon the 37 just would not cater for very many people.
If it were me I would go for the UDS build as it will be great for just feeding the family, but will allow you to cater for more easily if u ever decided to.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ScottishSmoker » 14 Jun 2016, 14:08

Hey Mike B and welcome!

I just build my first UDS and I am glad I did so instead of spending over 300 quid on a smoker.
It just feels right to have build it yourself :P It worked just fine and I'm sure I will master the temp control even more in the next few runs.
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MikeB » 14 Jun 2016, 21:01

I'm definitely building rather than buying.

I discounted the UDS originally on size and cost. Converting my Smokey Joe into a mini WSM is much easier to store but seems to be working out similar in price once I find a pot that works.

Size wise I guess I'm questioning how much people cook at once? Its rare I'll have more than 4 adults for dinner and not big eaters either!
MikeB
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 16 Jun 2016, 11:00

I'd go UDS. Infact, I did! Got a pellet now, but can't fault the UDS on price and performance. At the end of the day the WSMs and all the others are just posh drums.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PyroBoris » 20 Jun 2016, 11:22

Cook lots and chuck it in the freezer Mike! That's what we do and there's nothing quite liking chomping into a lovely homemade pulled pork roll for lunch whilst your colleagues are eating those sorry looking supermarket abominations from their prepacked sandwich aisle. Alternatively you'll have the meat component of dinner ready to defrost for a quick easy meal (something that might be handy with multiple very little ones?)

As you have a Smokey Joe, you could try and find a small barrel to turn it into a UDS/mini WSM, but if you have enough space I'd go for a full UDS, if you shop around for the parts (including rescuing free 22" grills and domed lids from family/friends neglected BBQ's) then a UDS really doesn't cost that much, 60-90 quid maybe? And those little ones will get bigger and hungrier, and you may even find your neighbours (assuming you get on with them) also inquiring what that lovely lovely meaty smokey smell is...and can they try some please (cheeky beggars)

Get smokin!

:D
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice