Can you store ribs?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Can you store ribs?

Postby 3 little pigs » 09 Jun 2016, 22:07

Hi...

This is maybe a stupid question but im using my gas grill to slow cook ribs.

Ive been following the amazing ribs techniques and absolutely love them.

My question is can you cook them the day before whilst keeping the crust crusty etc? I wondered if they would sweat/soften.

As a supplimentary question are rib racks a good way of cooking ribs for larger groups when you have limited space?(4 burner but only using half to get the indirect heat)
3 little pigs
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Can you store ribs?

Postby Tiny » 10 Jun 2016, 06:55

Welcome trio pigs,
never tried it but I would stop the cook at the 2nd stage eg wrapped in foil, I would then do the final warm through and sauce on the day.

As far as rib racks go search the IKEA website for "pot lid tidy" this is an scissor expanding rack that you can get 5 full racks in and because it scissors you don't scrape the rub off.....and it was a £5 note last time I bought one......

Cheers
tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 10 Jun 2016, 07:14

Just a note of caution when using rib racks. I have found that you need to rotate them when you spritz so they all get a chance on the outside. They also take up to an hour longer.
So baby backs usually take me 4 to 5 hours without clutching, but will take up to 6 if using a rack.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 10 Jun 2016, 12:14

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:Just a note of caution when using rib racks. I have found that you need to rotate them when you spritz so they all get a chance on the outside. They also take up to an hour longer.
So baby backs usually take me 4 to 5 hours without clutching, but will take up to 6 if using a rack.

Have you tried double declutching? :twisted: :mrgreen:
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 10 Jun 2016, 12:15

Like Tiny said. Good advice.

Great tip on the scissor rack. Ta.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 10 Jun 2016, 13:06

essexsmoker wrote:
BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:Just a note of caution when using rib racks. I have found that you need to rotate them when you spritz so they all get a chance on the outside. They also take up to an hour longer.

F'ing autocorrect :x :lol:
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby 3 little pigs » 11 Jun 2016, 10:51

Thanks for the replies.

I will need to visit ikea shortly! 5 quid isnt bad at all.

As for the ribs, i will give it a bash. My thought was to take them off and store before covering in sauce - so good that others are of the same thinking!!!!

Guess ill be ok as long as i dont tin foil the meat when its hot (or it would lock in the moisture?)

Any other hints im open to too.

And if you can work out how i get a daniel boone for less than 700 quid that would be handy
3 little pigs
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 11 Jun 2016, 11:34

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:
essexsmoker wrote:

F'ing autocorrect :x :lol:

LMAO. :D
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby 3 little pigs » 24 Aug 2016, 11:54

Thanks to time you for the ikea tip - managed 3 racks of ribs with plenty room for another couple of racks if I wanted.
3 little pigs
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice