Smoking Woods Reference Table

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Smoking Woods Reference Table

Postby London Irish » 22 Jun 2012, 11:55

A mate of mine has had great success smoking cheese with them, not tried them personally..
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 22 Jun 2012, 12:14

I've seen them used on Triple D, soaked in a bucket and used to create a unique smokey flavour.
keith157

Postby Davy » 22 Jun 2012, 14:42

I picked up these bbq companion chips today from Wilkos only £2.48 each. Much cheaper than anywhere else online. They had Maple. Oak and Apple. Has anybody any feedback on these. They also had Whisky smokey or something like that for £3.99.

Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby alnicol » 17 Jul 2012, 19:33

Has anyone tried Horse Chestnut? We've a number of trees in the garden and one of them has to come down (death due to bleeding canker). The wood would probably keep me in smoking material for years to come ... but I couldn't see it referenced in this thread. I know conkers aren't eaten, so was wondering whether there was any problem with smoking using the wood?
alnicol
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby London Irish » 17 Jul 2012, 20:28

alnicol wrote:Has anyone tried Horse Chestnut? We've a number of trees in the garden and one of them has to come down (death due to bleeding canker). The wood would probably keep me in smoking material for years to come ... but I couldn't see it referenced in this thread. I know conkers aren't eaten, so was wondering whether there was any problem with smoking using the wood?

I've been using Chestnut for the last few months, it has a nutty flavour and works well with all meats :)
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 18 Jul 2012, 04:02

Davy wrote:I picked up these bbq companion chips today from Wilkos only £2.48 each. Much cheaper than anywhere else online. They had Maple. Oak and Apple. Has anybody any feedback on these. They also had Whisky smokey or something like that for £3.99.

I can't see any difference between these and the Weber ones, apart from the price. They sometimes do the JD flavoured charcoal pellets for pouches, they're quite good, mild but noticeable.
keith157

Postby alnicol » 18 Jul 2012, 12:26

London Irish wrote:I've been using Chestnut for the last few months

I think Horse Chestnut, despite sounding the same, is a very different variety. A quick search suggests that it may not be ideal for smoking:
All parts of the horse chestnut contain toxins, especially the fruit.

I don't know whether that makes it unsafe to smoke with, but I guess since nobody else seems to be using it then I'll stick to the more well know woods :)
alnicol
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby London Irish » 18 Jul 2012, 13:40

[/quote]
I don't know whether that makes it unsafe to smoke with, but I guess since nobody else seems to be using it then I'll stick to the more well know woods :)[/quote]

I make you right...if you're unsure then stick with your instinct. I had a similar issue with Iroko wood (think it's posted earlier in this thread) and ended up not using it anymore. However, you can purchase Chestnut wood chips for smoking commercially, so I for one will carry on using them :)
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby flat top pete » 28 Oct 2012, 13:58

has anybody tried greengage :?:
my brother in law is going to trim his tree and i could get a couple of good 5" dia logs
i'm guessing it's ok as it is a member of the plum family :?:
flat top pete
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby The Smoking Canon » 16 Apr 2013, 00:26

Sweet chestnut is excellent, but needs to be seasoned well. One of my favourite but suprisingly under the radar. If you're using lumpwood or billets direct onto the coals then soak in water for x 2 + hours before

Alder is good too, as is Oak & Cherry.

Apple is very pleasant, specially the eating varieties.

(just love those Polysaccharides)
The Smoking Canon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice