What to buy... Drum/barrel BBQ?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

What to buy... Drum/barrel BBQ?

Postby Bucksend » 06 Jun 2016, 15:21

Hi,

I am new to the world of 'propper BBQing' and am looking to purchase a decent BBQ. Funds are rather limited but I would like to ask a simple question...

Can you recommend a decent horizontal barrel/drum style BBQ suitable for regular grilling and smoking?

More info... I would like to have a go at smoking and have watched enough videos to know that offset smokers are C##p unless you spend big money. I also know that the upright drum style smokers are best value/simplest to use but not so good for grilling. I am also aware that a Weber Kettle is what i should be getting(more on that in a mo). I was hoping to get a barrel/drum BBQ as it would fit in my shed allot easier than a large circular kettle style but all that I have seen seem to be very cheap(in quality, prices vary allot). I hope I am making sense.

If I should be getting a Webber which size do I need to be able to get the meat far enough away from the coals to cook low and slow? Remember my budget is little and I will probably only smoke with it a handful of times compared to regular grilling.

Thanks for reading all the above, I have done a bit of reasearch but seem to be stuck, can you help me please?

Many thanks
Bucksend
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: What to buy... Drum/barrel BBQ?

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 07 Jun 2016, 21:27

Hey buck

I think the ProQ smokers can be used for hot and fast as well, but not sure about that. Maybe overkill though if you'll mainly be grilling.

I have to say for a newbie who will mainly grill but may do a bit of smoking a weber 57cm is the best option...I know you don't want to hear that! From a storage point of view my weber kettles and smoker are all stored outside year round. One of the kettles is 15 years old and has never had a cover and is still in good condition.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 08 Jun 2016, 06:48

Look up bristol drum smokers
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Bucksend » 08 Jun 2016, 07:53

Hey thanks for the replies :)

I am just looking up the Bristol guys now.

As for the Weber, yes the more I read the more I want one. It is great that they survive well outside but unfortunately my rear 'garden'(more of a courtyard) is about as secure as my front garden(not very!) so I need to be able to lock it away for peace of mind - would hate to see it stolen! Do you think the Weber Original 47cm would be big enough? I think I will head to a garden center over the weekend and have a look at some BBQs in the flesh.
Bucksend
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Jun 2016, 09:25

I would agree with braai. No brainer.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Bucksend » 08 Jun 2016, 09:57

Yeah, the more I read the more I want a Weber. I'll just have to make room in the shed. I'd leave it outside 24/7 but our back garden is secure as our front garden and don't want to risk going walkies. Do you think the Original 47cmwould(not the compact) be too small?

PS I really like the look of those ProQ drums but too many pennies I think. And the Bristol Smokers are smart but as above.
Bucksend
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby batvan » 10 Jun 2016, 10:35

Buy the Weber and build yer own UDS ya can build them for next to nothing and make it look real ugly n ya won't need to worry about it getting nicked! :D
batvan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 10 Jun 2016, 12:10

batvan wrote:Buy the Weber and build yer own UDS ya can build them for next to nothing and make it look real ugly n ya won't need to worry about it getting nicked! :D

Lol
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 10 Jun 2016, 12:11

I'd go for the 57. You'll struggle to keep big bits of meat away from the heat otherwise.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 10 Jun 2016, 13:08

essexsmoker wrote:I'd go for the 57. You'll struggle to keep big bits of meat away from the heat otherwise.

I agree
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice