BBQ SMOKERS

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

BBQ SMOKERS

Postby HOTHOG » 08 Feb 2011, 15:50

Hi

Thanks for the welcome in the intro section.
I have decided to build a smoker and was curious as to why some are tubular and some are square, is there a reason for this or just personnel preference, I roast pigs for a living and use a large rectangular oven ( gas powered ) which I think I could adapt to act as a smoker. But I not sure on the size of the fire box needed to generate enough heat and smoke to cook other meats or wether to build a seperate one and mount it on a trailer.
Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Robin
HOTHOG
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: BBQ SMOKERS

Postby Steve » 08 Feb 2011, 17:51

Round or square is about preference. When it comes to calculating firebox size there are formulas available scattered around the web for calculating this along with exhaust requirements. Then you have to consider tuning plates and baffles and loads of other things.

I would say if you adapt your gas cooker to use as a smoker then it will no longer be suitable for use as a gas cooker. It's likely to be good for one purpose and not for the other.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HOTHOG » 08 Feb 2011, 21:19

Hi
Thanks for the info, I will investigate the internet

Thanks Robin
HOTHOG
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby photostore » 13 Feb 2011, 17:24

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm#magnum

I have one and didnt think much of it as i was using shavings and it continually need filling or choked itself out!!!..switched to using wood chips and wow, ran it yesterday for 6 hours on one filling.
They can be fitted to just about any bbq or oven etc.
photostore
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice