Lidless half barrel

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Lidless half barrel

Postby AxeSlash » 31 May 2016, 15:20

Hi

I bought a half barrel BBQ a while back and have only just got around to using it; when I bought the damned thing I didn't realise that not having a lid was going to limit me so much.

So without buying a new BBQ, I'm trying to figure out what my options are for cooking things a bit slower and keeping it going for longer. I'm wondering if doing something like covering the food with e.g. a wok lid would work? I know it's not the same as a proper lid, but would it at least help?

Or if that's a lost cause, do I need to go further and try and improvise a lid out of something? I don't really have anything lying around that I can use, and I'd worry about doing a good enough job...

Here's a pic of the BBQ I have (not mine, but it's the same model):

AxeSlash
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Lidless half barrel

Postby C.smith10 » 02 Jun 2016, 15:13

Covering the food won't make any difference as you need to regulate the heat from the charcoal which is done by limiting available oxygen.
In all honesty I think you'd be better off going down to homemade and getting yourself a cheap kettle for £40 rather than messing about trying to make a lid!
C.smith10
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice