How long does it take you to hot smoke a chicken?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

How long does it take you to hot smoke a chicken?

Postby Vic. » 04 Feb 2011, 17:46

Assuming you have a steady internal temp of around 210 degrees and a good seal in the smoker, what would be the standard time to cook a chicken?
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: How long does it take you to hot smoke a chicken?

Postby Steve » 04 Feb 2011, 20:20

Like Al, I've never smoked chicken that low. In fact I do chicken hotter to get decent skin usually. Lowest I've done it was about 230-250 and if I remember right it took a few hours to be done.

I don't really cook by time though, start everything early, cook by feel and core temperature then hold it in a Cambro until eating time. :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vic. » 05 Feb 2011, 16:46

DrSweetsmoke wrote:Can I ask why you would want to smoke it so low? It's going to be in the danger zone for a long while. Try smoking your chicken at higher temps remembering chicken takes on smoke easily. 8-)

I was looking at the http://www.greatfireofnantwich.co.uk/article/show/15 site which says hot smoking should be done between "165 °F (74 °C) to 185 °F (85 °C)", as fat starts melting at 165. Taking into consideration that poultry should be cooked at a higher temp than beef/pork, I thought 210 °F would do.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby LM600 » 05 Feb 2011, 23:50

Try about 350°F for about an hour or so....but check with a therm. Some take longer, some take less time.
LM600

Postby Steve » 06 Feb 2011, 01:16

Most people cook in the 225F - 250F range. I know some people who cook in the lower ranges but they tend to stick not much below 212F (the boiling point of water) with the view that it helps to retain moisture as water in the meat doesn't boil and escape.

Others will cook hotter and faster at temps up to 350F. I tend to lean towards hotter and faster when I'm on charcoal, lower and slower on pellets. You've also got to be aware of what you've used in your rubs, foil marinades etc. For instance when I do competition ribs I never let the cooker get above 275F because I use butter and sugar which can burn at hotter temperatures.

Chicken needs the heat for the skin though IMHO.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vic. » 10 Feb 2011, 14:54

Thinking of buying the chicken and rib racks for my smoker

Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 10 Feb 2011, 17:08

Steve wrote:I don't really cook by time though, start everything early, cook by feel and core temperature then hold it in a Cambro until eating time. :D

A Cambro - another item to be added to the list of new things to buy :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 10 Feb 2011, 18:40

Claire, you can use a cool box instead of a Cambro (which costs a fortune), Costco have Igloo cool boxes in at great prices. I used these until I came across a bargain Cambro on eBay.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 10 Feb 2011, 20:16

Vic. wrote:Thinking of buying the chicken and rib racks for my smoker

personally i wouldn't bother with the chicken holder as a beer can works perfectly. I've only bought a bird holder for cooking turkey with. But i'm also tempted with the rib racks to allow me to cook more at a time.

clairbare wrote:A Cambro - another item to be added to the list of new things to buy

Clair, I've bought myself a Coleman cooler for £45 which i've seen recomended on another site as an alternative to a Cambro. The one i've bought also claims it will stay cool for 5 days so hopefully it will be good for keeping heat for a while as well.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 10 Feb 2011, 20:27

Coleman cool boxes are good. Now is the time to buy a cooler because you can get offers on them. The igloos in Costco range from £40 to about £100. The £40 is great for BBQ comps as it has nice big wheels on it. It's a max cold model so probably very similar to the Coleman in insulation terms.

I don't think Igloo are as big a brand in the UK as I haven't seen them around much. They are the major brand in the US though. Can't recommend them highly enough, but watch out Al will be after it if you get one, had to hide mine at the first ever comp :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice