What smoker should i buy?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: What smoker should i buy?

Postby Banjo » 28 Jan 2011, 21:05

Steve wrote:Mowse, if I were you and buying two smokers I'd get a WSM and a Traeger :D

A match made in heaven... :D
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Eddie » 28 Jan 2011, 21:17

If you want a pro q, I think toby might have one or two for sale. He is also holding a beginners class. If you decide on a pro q and the beginners class you could proberly pick one up on the day. to save on p&p. If you need any info on the Boot camp, please see BBBQ News on the forum.

Hope this might be of some help.

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 29 Jan 2011, 18:58

Seen that vid before it's a great comparison. I would be intrigued to see the how they fair against each other after 2 years of hammer though. mine got very tatty towards the end, whereas my WSM's (aside from the grates) are like new. That said they served their purpose, but my addiction (Fetish) took over!

If Ian could get the build quality better it would be an awesome machine. His biggest problem I think is getting people to pay for the extra quality. To be fair of all the manufacturers he is the only one that listens to his audience, but I think quality v cost is something he is unable to do anything about, even weber manufacture in China now.
All Weather Griller

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 29 Jan 2011, 22:05

Yeah, my Excel 20 is no longer nice and shiny black, it is more of a dull gray. But I really don't care about the looks, because it really does its job (and it looks like it is actually used a lot). What I like is having stackers, so you can take one level off easily and put the lid right back on, or easily rotate stackers to move meat closer to or further from the coals. With the WSM, you need to lift the grill off to access the meat on the lower level. I also like the thermometer holes in each stacker and the handles on the Excel 20. But I do think the WSM is a bit easier on charcoal and will hold temperatures a few hours longer than the Excel 20.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby Steve » 03 Feb 2011, 08:57

Al's right about potentially being bitten by the bug and aquiring more smokers :) I started with a single Excel, then got another one and a Frontier. Since then I've added a Traeger and am looking at a bigger pellet cooker, although I'm more likely to go with a Louisiana Grills than a Traeger. I also want a ceramic cooker like like a Kamado Joe. Eventually I'm going to import a Spicewine when funds allow it. I'm hooked :lol:

If I had my time again though, I'd buy a WSM over my first Excel, the small WSM is only a little more money than the Excel and unless you're cooking for large groups it offers enough capacity. The build quality is far better and they are more economical on the charcoal. The Pro Q does offer some handy features over the WSM but does this make it a better value cooker? In my opinion no.

Truth is that you'll be happy with either cooker I'm sure, the best thing to do is have a look at both of them in a shop and see which one you prefer.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clairbare » 03 Feb 2011, 13:28

My advice would be to buy the best you can afford and after a few years make an informed decision as to what direction you want to take , once the bug hit's you there is no three step program out there to cure you. :lol:

Great now you tell us :D So no weaning process to get that bug out of you? Cos when it starts to take hold, it does get those juices flowing. Maybe AA could have a joint session, especially as BBQ and Beer come together as a given :lol:
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 03 Feb 2011, 19:22

They say smoking is bad for your health. But to be fair it's hit my wealth more! LOL

We need to keep this hobby/past time a secret because of the Treasury find out they will tax us on it.
All Weather Griller

Postby mowse73 » 21 Feb 2011, 17:17

Hi everyone. Well, in the end I went for the pro q 20 and i have ordered a Maverik thermometer(the new model) from the states.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
mowse73
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 21 Feb 2011, 17:20

You will be very happy with your new Excel 20.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby Steve » 22 Feb 2011, 13:37

DrSweetsmoke wrote: clean out all the ass

I didn't think pork butt meant that :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice