Problem wir Weber Briquettes

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Problem wir Weber Briquettes

Postby Flying_Vee » 31 May 2016, 08:49

Not sure the opinions are mixed but cross purposes maybe.

Would be good if you clarified if you're talking about Celsius or Fahrenheit on your thermometer as kickback asked.

What type of cook are you after for say your chicken wings. 200C smokey roast in 30mins or 125C low and slow in 2-3hours?

Personally wouldn't use slow briqs for the first.

Do you have any photos?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Flying_Vee
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 31 May 2016, 10:20

Makes no sense to me why you can't maintain temps. I think this is something you will have to sort yourself as everyone has asked the obvious.

If you are going for a long cook you want about 107C, fast grilling about 180 to 200C.

If your temps are at 200C then it will burn out quick.

It sounds like an airflow problem, but assuming you have checked that then I'm at a loss.

It isn't something silly like the top vent has a disc left from the punch out? I.e. you only have 2 holes not 3?

I think a pic of things might help.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 31 May 2016, 12:39

rjt_bbq wrote:Burnt2acrisp - am sure the vents are fully open at the bottom, when i look from above i can see th slots. I am also using the bigger chimney

Guy who sold me the briquettes said these are getting so hot so quickly you only need 10 mins in the startter but i dont think that is enough - when i told him he said if you wait too long in the chimney the heat is gone

Mixed opinions.......

I wait until the coals are all glowing and certainly no unlit ones. This can take up to 30 mins with a full chimney. Probably 10 to 15 with half full. Also depends on what you're lighting them with. If paper they can take 5 to 10 mins just to catch.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 31 May 2016, 12:46

[quote="]
If you are going for a long cook you want about 107C, fast grilling about 180 to 200C.

If your temps are at 200C then it will burn out quick.
[/quote]

Agree with everything Essex has said. Just to clarify 'burn out quick' at 200c that is a relative term. In my experience you should still get at least an hour from them.

Are you spreading coals thinly over the whole base grate, or isolating the coals in a big pile which will give better heat for longer?
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby rjt_bbq » 31 May 2016, 16:15

Am aiming to get 200c for at least an hour

All vents fully open and punched out

I guess i need to try again, wait a little longer withe chimney and see the results

Is really frustrating as i want the charcoal to work for me and not just give up and use the gas alternative permanently

Not the weather for it today though :-)
rjt_bbq
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Kickback » 31 May 2016, 17:22

One other thing to try if you want to get that high heat for that long is the indirect set up Webber recommend I.e a pile of coals at each side of the BBQ (under the swinging parts of the cooking grate to make adding coals easier) rather than what a lot of people prefer which is a pile of coals at just one side. I think this will give you a hotter indirect zone.

If it doesn't get hot enough for you crack the lid about 1 or 2 cm on one side to increase airflow. Avoid lifting the lid for any reason other than to turn food once.

Others will know better but I rarely have 200c heat for a long period of time. I'd say it's more frequently at around 175 to 190.

One chimney of brickets should easily lady an hour at that temperature though.

It may be your gas BBQ is capable of higher temperatures than your charcoal one (unless you really really pile on the coals) but 180 or so is easily hot enough to cook pretty much anything it just might take a little while.

Interested in hearing if anyone normally cooks indirectly much over 200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 31 May 2016, 17:36

I normally aim for 200C or there about when grilling.
Temp will slowly drop over the course of an hour though. I think I normally end up at about 130C after an hour or so. It's generally enough to do what I want.

To be honest, if you want constant heat permanently then gas is probably the way to go.

However, from what I remember your temp is dropping after 15mins. That's not right.

My OTP is about 25C out, but I've heard of 50C.

You need a good digital thermometer to really tell properly. Something you really should have anyway to bbq properly. A so as not to poison anyone and B so not to cremate your food!

Can I ask why you want such a lot of heat for so long? I can't imagine how much food you are cooking.

As said previously pile the coals up on one side under the access grate. You can then top up. It will hold the heat better too.

This may be upsetting after spending a small fortune on your pride and joy, :) but ultimately it's just two big bowls with holes in. It can only work with the nature of fire. I wonder if you're not expecting too much? :)

Don't forget to plan your food too. To me the drop in temp is quite handy as you can start to do more delicate things or crisp things up without a raging inferno.

Good luck with it though. :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby rjt_bbq » 31 May 2016, 20:06

Tbh, it isnt the point of wanting to cook for one hour solid, is more the point people say those briquettes are good for three hours and i see these recipes where people are doing roasts and stuff and supposedly all on one load of coals - that is more my point that i am struggling to cook basic food with one serving of briquettes

I have a digital probe for checking food but am interested to know about thermometers that can monitor the temp nside the bbq

I still have a lot to learn about not burning things but am just concerned what i am doing wrong regarding keeping heat in for long enough

Thx to all for the advice!
rjt_bbq
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 04 Jun 2016, 19:28

I was having a BBQ this afternoon and this thread came to mind. I am sure that what you are doing is emptying the coals from the chimney into the BBQ too soon, then sticking the lid on and killing it.

When coals (especially briquettes) are lighting they draw a lot of oxygen - that's why the chimney starter is so full of holes. When they are well lit and going, then they'll pull oxygen up through the bottom vents and expel air through top vent. But if they are not properly lit when you close the lid they will start to die out as they won't be drawing enough oxygen.

What I would do is empty the chimney starter only when the top coals are covered in a fine layer of grey ash. Then leave alone for a couple of minutes before putting food on and closing the lid.

I recon that will get you some serious heat for well beyond your required 30 minutes with the weber briquettes.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice