Traeger or GMG????

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Traeger or GMG????

Postby essexsmoker » 12 Jul 2016, 09:33

Depends on what you need. Personal use I'd say Davy Crocket, entertaining then Daniel Boone.
I got the DB and it's plenty big enough for what I want.
Generally go bigger than you need and you won't have to buy again.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 12 Jul 2016, 18:19

As Essex says it really depends what you want it for, catering parties the DB will be plenty big enough, I have done 6 large chickens or alternatively did an 8kg flat brisket with room to spare. If you are looking to cook loads have a look at the Jim Bowie, but if it is commercial smoking you are looking at then like Pompey I would opt for an more expensive unit.

I would suggest my GMG is like a 70s built load bearing wall to the yartas 30s built load bearing wall, you wouldn't want either to fall on you :)

Where abouts are you in the country?
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby kiriak » 12 Jul 2016, 20:10

I'm in Norwich Norfolk.
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby kiriak » 13 Jul 2016, 21:02

Well I spoke to GMG and asked them if they had a local dealer that I could go to to see the different models, or, if I had to drive over 2 hours to them. I was told no dealers to go to and they didn't have a showroom for me to visit either. The guy I spoke to said he would get the sales manager to call me back and email me. Nothing so far. Not a good first impression. I'm not willing to spend that sort of money on recommendations and YouTube videos.

Biomass, again, said no showroom, so just an import warehouse (???) but.... did at least give me some post codes of customers that may be convenient for me to visit, to see the product in the flesh. A little bit better customer service, but, product twice the price.

Does anyone here have a Yoder in East Anglia for me to have a look at to save me driving over 2 hours away to see one?

Many thanks
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 14 Jul 2016, 06:08

kiriak wrote:Does anyone here have a Yoder in East Anglia for me to have a look at to save me driving over 2 hours away to see one?

Many thanks

Unfortunately Biomass get their Yoders from the European distributor in Prague. I just threw caution to the wind and bought mine after plenty of research but not having seen one in the flesh.

I'm in Portsmouth so clearly too far for you but I can answer whatever questions you have. I have a YS1500 but as far as I can tell the build quality and design is the same for the smaller models.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 14 Jul 2016, 06:14

There's a US forum called pellethead dot com for all things pellet grills. You can research Yoda and GMG.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby kiriak » 14 Jul 2016, 20:01

Thanks for the replies.

Traeger do actually have the models available for viewing at Riverside and they have a demo model.
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby kiriak » 17 Jul 2016, 19:51

HI Guys/Gals, those of you that have a GMG, am I right in thinking that the extra grill rack just sits on the main grill with those little feet and is not held in place in any other way?
Also, the front shelf, when the two brackets are fitted, what actually secures the shelf to the brackets?

Many thanks.
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 18 Jul 2016, 17:15

As for 2nd inner shelf I don't have one, I know some chaps have modded theres but I have plenty capacity.

As for the front shelf the arms that pivot out to support it have little hooky things on them, to fit the shelf you have to slide it down like you are putting a slice of bread in a toaster, you then let it fall toward you, like the lower half of the boot on a range rover, and then it comes to rest on the 2 swing out arms. It then sits there nicely. To remove you do the same in reverse, flip the shelf over and it then hangs flush against the front of the BBQ.

All that said I wouldn't bother, it is a bit low, is in front so you have to reach over it and you could purchase a more useful side table for less lucre.....

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby kiriak » 18 Jul 2016, 20:28

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The more I hear/read/see and the attitude of the dealers I speak to, I'm almost certain now to go the extra mile and get the Yoder YS640 ;) :roll: :o
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice