Traeger or GMG????

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Traeger or GMG????

Postby essexsmoker » 27 May 2016, 20:09

I guess if you've had it a long time...

ABBQ sell a tin of high temp paint, £16.50 I think.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby kiriak » 10 Jul 2016, 16:30

I was considering the Yoder YS640, but, now see the top of the range Traeger in the UK, at Riverside Garden Centre, is half the price. Is the Treager half the smoker that the Yoder is, or, is the Yoder price inflated due to name and reputation?
Anyone have any experience of either or both.?
Many thanks in advance.
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 10 Jul 2016, 18:57

I have a yoder ys1500 and it is fantastic. Very solid, very reliable and works like a dream. I've read a few US forums and the Traeger reputation has dropped since they transferred production to China, they're no longer as solidly built as they used to be.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby kiriak » 10 Jul 2016, 19:01

The GMG units also seem flimsy in comparison to the Yoder and the ABBQ site says all out of stock anyway. Very popular and sold out or no one wants them? :roll:
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 10 Jul 2016, 19:38

Have you checked out The Biomass Hut? They're UK stockists for Yoder. The smokers are expensive but with everything in life you get what you pay for.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby kiriak » 10 Jul 2016, 20:01

Yeah that's where I have priced up the Yoder. Twice the price, but, was hoping someone could tell me if they are actually worth double the price of the GMG and the Traeger.
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 11 Jul 2016, 08:25

GMG "flimsy"? I wouldn't want anyone to drop mine on me from a height, I cant compare it to the other one you have mentioned as never felt one but flimsy is a touch rude.......

They have become increasingly popular and as ABBQ brings there shipment in infrequently by seafreight I am guessing this could be the problem. If you have the loot then buy the best you can afford, I have been delighted with my purchase and it has done everything I have asked of it so personally not sure what I would get by spending extra, plus the Mrs would kill me as promised the GMG was the final purchase :)

Also if you choose to deal with ABBQ pick up the phone as they are not the best if you work by eMail, service is good but you have to talk to them to get it to happen
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 11 Jul 2016, 11:05

I have to say ABBQ were very good once I spoke to them. They bought a brand new unit, so I'm pleased with them.

I'd say flimsy was harsh. I'm very pleased with the unit overall, just a few teething problems.

Yes the Yoders are amazing, but as you say it's double the price. Would you compare a fiesta to a Audi? Probably not.
Will the GMG do everything you want it to? Probably.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 11 Jul 2016, 11:23

I bought my Yoder because it was the largest, portable pellet smoker i could find in the UK and I needed the capacity for commercial means. It is a magnificent beast however if I was looking for something for personal use at home I would probably go with GMG on price. Traeger just seems to have so many bad reviews lately, particularly from former life long fans.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby kiriak » 11 Jul 2016, 17:21

Hi Guys.

Firstly, thanks for the replies and comments. I did say flimsy in comparison, not that they were flimsy in their own right. The stud walls in my house do a job, but, are flimsy when compared to the solid load-bearing walls. That kinda thing.

Interesting to hear that Traeger are now Chinese built and not US, or, at least for the UK market.

I will look into the GMG range a bit closer now. Any recommendations?
kiriak
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice