Charcoal

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Charcoal

Postby RobinC » 23 Jan 2011, 19:53

Where does everyone source their charcoal from? And what are the popular brands

I live in a rural area so there is little choice. I always avoid anything advertised as quick lighting. Generally i use whatever is on hand at the local garden store. Have found weber charcoal good on long cooks, can get 15 hours out of them on the wsm. Used some of the restaurant grade stuff that I ordered from planet BBQ and that seemed okay.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Charcoal

Postby Steve » 23 Jan 2011, 20:34

I mainly use restaurant grade lump from my local Booker or Makro. I also sometimes manage to get my hands on some locally produced charcoal.

Additionally i've used cocoshell briquettes a fair bit and heatbeads.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alice's Restaurant » 23 Jan 2011, 20:48

Hello there--we used Big K Lump charcoal on our cook today and it was terrific. We bought it at a local independent garden centre.

Regards, Alice
Alice's Restaurant
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby RobinC » 24 Jan 2011, 11:42

But us mere mortals don't have access to Booker or Makro.

Actually do you happen to know if you can open an account at Booker regardless of the type of business you run. I have a Ltd co that is used for a few IT related bits and pieces.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 Jan 2011, 11:57

Yep, I have an I.T business which I used to open a booker account with. The forms asks what type of business you have but I think I.T is on it.

Just tell them you buy office consumables, tea bags, coffee, toilet rolls etc. They never queried mine but I had my reasons pre-supposed LOL.

BtW I buy my Charcoal direct from the manufacturer when it is out of season. They are located in Burnley and my sister lives about 3 miles from the factory. It's very handy.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby RobinC » 24 Jan 2011, 12:07

Thanks for the clarification.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby mcdodge » 24 Jan 2011, 12:49

I used these guys when I was setting up smoking - nowhere round here sell charcoal at all!

http://liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/oursh ... rcoal.html

You can get the lump restaurant charcoal delivered, at if you buy enough get it for £10 a bag or less.
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby LM600 » 24 Jan 2011, 18:27

mcdodge wrote:I used these guys when I was setting up smoking - nowhere round here sell charcoal at all!

You can get the lump restaurant charcoal delivered, at if you buy enough get it for £10 a bag or less.

I keep looking at Liverpool for the Restaurant Grade Charcoal....what are your views on it?
LM600

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 Jan 2011, 19:18

I use it and it's good. I pay about £8 per bag from the manufacturer, but that is collection.

They are called Rectella and based in Burnley. Charcoal available all year round!
All Weather Griller

Postby mcdodge » 24 Jan 2011, 19:58

LM600 wrote:
mcdodge wrote:I used these guys when I was setting up smoking - nowhere round here sell charcoal at all!

I keep looking at Liverpool for the Restaurant Grade Charcoal....what are your views on it?

When I ordered they were out of the Restaurant Charcoal due to a lot of restaurants ordering that over XMas in anticipation of a shortage in the cold. They sent me the stuff that is in the black bags on that page. Does the job, the lumps are big and it certainly seems to burn well!
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice